Power head placement for u.v. sterilizer.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I want to put my u.v. under my tank rather then hkeep it hang off the back. Where should I place the powerhead and the return tube? I don't want it to affect the heating as it is now. Currently, the powerhead is right next to a heater, and the warm water is going into the powerhead and returning to the other side of the tank and the other heater is never going on. Also, the temp is too warm. I'm not going to lower the heaters, but move the powerhead and return tube.

fishfreek

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Virginia
www.aquariumadvice.com
IT does not really mater where your PH and return tube are as much as it maters how far below your tank you put the UV unit.

Note right now the PH is pushing the water into the UV unit at a very small head. Like a few inches. But by putting it down in your stand teh PH will effectivly have to push the water back up the height from your UV to your tank.

YOu might need to upgrade your UV powerhead when you do this.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Ok, all I did was move the powerhead to the middle of the tank and have the return tube under one of the emperor 400s. The temperature is fine now. I will put some pics up later.

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Wouldn't the PH basically create a syphon? If it did, then both the PH and syphon would push water through the UV. Unlike a sump, the plumbing to the UV is a closed system. Therefore, water should seek its own level which means that once a syphon is started the water should naturally want to go through the UV and back up to tank level. The PH would then have to provide the extra push to get it up and over the glass and back into the tank. That shouldn't be a problem for a PH.

If you want to improve the efficiency of your heater, put the intake of your PH near the bottom of your heater (the part that actually gets hot) and discharge water back into the tank on the same side. That way you are alway moving cool water past your heater and creating a additional circulation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store