Identification Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbastien

AC Members
Oct 11, 2005
I picked up these two cichlids the other day and i just have then in a 10g juvi tank right now, but I havent been able to find what they are, I have looked on the internet for about an hour but havent found any pictures that match. Both the cichlids are only about 1-1.5". The first picture is pretty self explanitory, and that line is a scratch on the glass. The second picture the adults i saw had some striping on then, you can kind of see the stripes starting to come in.
Thanks

Derek

fish_ID.jpg ID-2.jpg

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
First one is an Pseudotropheus spec."Acei Tanzanian Black" to be precise. Check out this picture... its identical: http://www.malawimayhem.com/profile_show.php?id=639
(Your lucky, these guys are rare!)

Second one looks like a Labidochromis caeurleus "yellow lab" hybrid or a Pseudotropheus saulosi, .... they make these 'yellow yellow' hybrids of the yellow labs that can look like saulosi sometimes... does it look like it has some black along its dorsal fin? Maybe wait until it grows up and develops more of its features to try to positively ID it. If the adults had striping like that then I would bet on saulosi. The males turn dark blue/with black stripes and the females stay orange/yellow.

For these guys i would get at least a 30 gallon... bigger the better because then you could add more of each species or get some different fish. Both of them are fairly peaceful species so you should be okay aggression-wise.

:)
-Diana and Raf

dbastien

AC Members
Oct 11, 2005
thats pretty sweet, i had no idea those were rare because the pet store had a small tank full of babies and they were like 6 dollars each canadian, maybe i will go pick up a few more when i get a bigger tank and try to get a pair.
Thanks

Derek

dbastien

AC Members
Oct 11, 2005
I am pretty sure i found out what the other one is. I went back to the fish store and some of the bigger ones turned kind of blue so I looked at them for a while and came home and found that it looks a lot like Pseudotropheus saulosi.
Thanks
Derek

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store