yellow tang blues!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ducepurdy

Big Tank
Jul 20, 2005
ohio
Let me start off by saying this is my first time on this webcite and i am enjoying it, except for the slow chat room :).Now my problems.
I am a fairly new owner about 3 months of a built in 150 gal x. high tank ( 48in,24in,30in)
Now the hardware
55 gallon sump with a genx 8500 pump a and p.s not sure of the brand right now but is a top of the line model
2 1500k 400watt metal halids with 2 vho t 12 actinic bulbs

The fun stuff
I have around 80lbs live rock,
60lbs live reef sand and about 15 lbs argonate,
over 50 linassius snail with about 250 more on the way, about 5 mex turbo, 10-15 astrea
20-25 blue leg 5 redleg 2 regular hermit 5 emerald crabs 1 decorator crab
2 cleaner 1 camel shrimp
4 brittle 4 serpent star fish
4 chromis
3 dominos
1 yellow med sized tang
1 huge long tenticle anemonie
2 urchins dont know the names off hand
and maybe some other stuff i have left out but thats the majority

so now im on my second tang and they all seem to be doing fine for the first couple of weeks and then they stop eating and rubbing themselves on rocks . Today i just recently read a thread about quaranteen them because of the ick problem so i guess that is the problem?

But my other concern is the overall setup of the tank i was not pleased at all by the person that installed it and set it up. Im not pleased with The overflow siphons and the way the water is returned back into the tank ie by the spraybars. the tank its never been crystal clear so im curious if all i have mentioned is adiquate or if i should add any other items.
Thanks

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Rather than the spray bar you could by a Sea Swirl. The water comes from the return pump goes inot that and it rotates 0-90 degrees in the water, creating a random current. The whole thing is submerged so it wont be loud or shoot bubbles into the tank (unless you have a bubble problem in your sump).

What are your water levels? Salinity, PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite...

Did your tank go through a cycle yet? It doesnt' seem like a lot of rock for a 150gallon tank I bet the tank is still going through a nitrogen cycle. This would be a very good inidcation of why you lost fish. Don't put anymore in until your sure your cycle is done, fish can't live in that situation.

Do you have a picture? It sounds neat, what do you use for filtration?

Neil.

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
does your fish have white spots at all?? It sounds like a text book ich problem! Which type was the other tang

ducepurdy

Big Tank
Jul 20, 2005
ohio
I dont have any filtration besides the rock and the skimmer! However the levels are good ph of 8.14 on average 1.023 salinity nitrate and nitrite both at 0 and like i said have only had problems with the tangs the dominos and chromies are fine. But the tang is not showing any signs of spots

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Hmmm... Tangs are very susceptible to disease, especially whitespot. if you do start seeing spots, you might want to try a freshwater dip.

I would reccomend getting a filter, but i know that some people just use LR and a skimmer like you do.

Welcome to the Website! :hi: Where in ohio do you live?

Last edited:

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Yes you may be having a problem with debri in the water, the best cure for this is normally a cannister filter or a CSF. these will remove debris from the water and the tank should start turning clear. that is if debris is your problem.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
You don't need a canister filter, I just didn't see you mention anything about a skimmer in the first post. What kind do you have?

I agree that tangs are suseptable to illness... it might not have been something you did. It might be streesed from a new fish or moving the rocks around.

Neil.

ducepurdy

Big Tank
Jul 20, 2005
ohio
i have a g series 150 protein skimmer just found out the make

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store