Normal Behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

uhohagain

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
My maroon clown has never in the 1+year I have had him, been really active. He mostly enjoys staying quite close the aneneme. But over the past couple days he doesn't even seem to leave long enough to eat much. I have watched him for about three total feeds and I honestly can't say I saw it eat at all. I hand fed its aneneme some squid yesterday, the clown is pretty calm and just kinda moved a aside and watched. After that he left a couple minutes, but I never saw him actually eat. They get flakes morning and at night, then some mix of mysis, brine, or emeral entree in the midday. I can't say his breathing is any faster, but he keeps his mouth open more. The anenome is attached to a rock that is not too close to the bottom, and he is not swimming to the top or anything. No other fish are acting any different. This fish has been through much in the past, he is/has become very hardy. Water Parameters are unchanged for several days. Any ideas? :confused: :confused:

Nitrates: 20
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.4
Sp.Grav: 1.024
Ammonia:unknown(find out tomorrow)
Temp: 80

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I wouldn't doubt it has something to do with the Damsels. Damsels and Clowns are in the same family and generally when placed in the same tank will fight, might not be immediate but they do not coexist in the long run. I would try catching those and see if the Clown returns to normal behavior/eating. Also just be sure to watch your nitrates with the Anemone. I wouldn't go any higher than what they are at now. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

uhohagain

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
MonoSebaelover said:
I wouldn't doubt it has something to do with the Damsels. Damsels and Clowns are in the same family and generally when placed in the same tank will fight, might not be immediate but they do not coexist in the long run. I would try catching those and see if the Clown returns to normal behavior/eating. Also just be sure to watch your nitrates with the Anemone. I wouldn't go any higher than what they are at now. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!
Although the damsels and clown have been tankmates for the whole 1+years, about two weeks ago I added a yellow tang. Two of the damsels did not get along with the tang for about 2-3 days, but the whole process could be still stressful for the clown. I am planning to trade in my damsels, well atleast the two that don't accept tankmates because I plan on adding 1 or two more fish and another anenome. I just hope I can catch them. I plan on getting the nitrates squared away with a 10% water change this weekend. Hopefully that will work, and of course check the ammonia. I really hope my clown gets back to himself, he is so friendly to me and others. I just hope the problem isn't the tang...I really love tangs, but I am attached to the clown too. :(

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
maroon clowns also do tend to be a little territorial and i dont think one would take any crap from a damsel anyways, it maybe has something to do with your nitrates, they should really be undetectable, maybe if you tell us what media you are using in your filter i can tell you the source of the problem, unless it was just the tang. Iwould definately sell the damsels because there aggressiveness can make other fish not eat and are fin nippers. also aare any of your fish breathing fast if so you may have a nitrate or nitrite problem.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Uho, you may be overeacting with the Clown; I suspect the Tang has him spooked but that will change, it's only been a couple of days... the Maroon clown will is a tough customer, eventually reaching 4 or 5 inches, and will hold its own with all of those fish even when small, IME. The nitrates are not a problem for the Maroon, but the anemone (along with other inverts you may have) and the Tang both demand better water so keep an eye on that.

uhohagain

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
Clown Died

Thanks everyone for suggestions and advice. The clown ended up dying on Monday Oct 17. I was noticing the night before it was something just not right...a fish "mommy" intuition. ;) But I really am not sure what the problem was, all the other fish seem to be fine. I did not see any spots, or trauma to the fish or its gills. My water parameters although weren't way off at all are near normal now. It is possible I suppose the clown was already old when I got it, it was pretty big already. Who knows?! My nitrates refuse to go back to 0(at 10) but the spike of the ammonia to .25 is now 0 for 3 days now. Nitrites are 0, PH 8.4, sp.grav. 1.024, Temp. 80.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store