Anyone has exp. w water hyacinth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigtoeknee

AC Members
Aug 28, 2005
Im planning on adding water hyacinth to my tank. Tank is 120gallon, open top w 170w of light temp around 77 F only plants on bottom are java moss so Im not worried about light under the water hyacinth. Anyone grow this in your indoor aquariums let me know your experience. Thanks Tony

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't have enough light, so my experience was not good. They need very high light, I think. I was trying to overwinter water hyacinths from an outdoor 1/2 barrel pond - where 1 plant multiplied to cover the entire surface (and then some) in 2 months (i.e. lots of it was thinned and composed). My only concern with them would be their EXTENSIVE roots. The roots are very bushy and very long (at least in the outside pond), I would think it would be quite unsightly.... although perhaps it would be different in an aquarium.

Jerm

Hehe!! A fishy!! and a rolly guy!!
Sep 26, 2005
Rouses Point NY
I've never actually had one, but from what i've read, just a fair amount of light will make this plant take over your tank. :read: :look: :read:

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
As long as there is enough above water space before your lighting burns it, they will be fine, 6-12" is ideal.
Some cram the leaves out the rear of their tanks to allow more light into the tank.

Sponge plant is the other smaller option, Frogbit is the other common name.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Light is crucial for Hyacinth. you should cull when you get too much. The extra can be mulched and makes and excellent fertilizer for terrestials.

thePlantMan cometh...........................

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store