blue hippo tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swimchica408

Registered Member
Oct 16, 2005
hello i just got a hippo tang and i noticed that this morning that his gills seemed a little red? is there a problem? I don't know what to do. Also my tank water gets really foggy what can i do to stop this problem?? thank you

TONO

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
How big is your tank? more details please how long has it been running?

itstheantitang

A man, struck down in his prime...
Oct 1, 2005
a hippo tang shouldn't be put in a 10 gallon!
It will get much too big, up to 10 in.
Also, the red gills are normal, the fish's blood passes through them.
There would be a problem if they were pale in color.

Make sure you have a vegi clip or lettuce attached to a rock for it to nibble at.

tonytwist007

AC Members
Jul 13, 2005
itstheantitang said:
a hippo tang shouldn't be put in a 10 gallon!
I second, er, third that!

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
just saw that this was your first thread, welcome! :D

not many saltwater fish can be kept in a 10 gallon tank, and of the few that can, you can only keep 1 or 2 specimens. you might want to convert it to freshwater.

did you cycle your tank?

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
Glad this thread was started. I'm going to transfer my Blue Hippo to another tank and I hear you have to handle them very carefully in the transfer. I've had him for two years so from what I hear the older they are the tougher the transition is for them. Any steps I should take to move him? Lights out? Anything else?

swimchica408

Registered Member
Oct 16, 2005
how do you cycle the water?

im keeping the fish in this tank till i move next month so i can have more space for the bigger thank

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
swimchica408 said:
how do you cycle the water?

im keeping the fish in this tank till i move next month so i can have more space for the bigger thank
That should've been done before you put any fish in. Do you know anyone with cycled water that could give you some? Or substrate?

The cycle takes quite a few weeks. It varies for everyone but it has to cycle on its own. Either start with a piece of storebought shrimp or let it run its own course. I myself took the biowheel filter from my old tank and ran it in the new one for a long time. Then you monitor and watch your amonia, nitrites and then nitrates spike and fall one after the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store