Need a Tang...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
Check my specs below......

Got some hairy algae for it to take care off...and no not want a Yellow Tang.

Anybody got any options for me?
thanks

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
by "hairy algae", do you mean the dreaded bryopsis? If so, then a tang will not touch it.....

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by makai
Check my specs below......

Got some hairy algae for it to take care off...and no not want a Yellow Tang.

Anybody got any options for me?
thanks
No offense makai, but you still don't need a tang in your tank. You already lost a Kole right? Your tank is just too small for a tang.

Find the cause of the hair algae...please don't buy another tang in an attempt to mask the problem.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
how about a algae blenny??

Think the algae is a tap water problem with my weekly water changes. I have a "fill-it-yourself" R/O station down the street and have been thinking of using that for water. Any suggestions.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Putting a small blenny in there might be a problem. The triggers are getting along so far, but adding another fish of any kind might upset that, and a blenny is no match for a trigger on a rampage.

If the algae is from your water, best solution will be to change water sources. Otherwise, you risk getting a fish to solve the problem, then running out of algae, and having to supplement the fish or having it starve.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
Very good point oriongirl.....

the algae blenny are pretty large and the LFS said that the algae blenny hardly ever takes care of the algae you want it too.

Do you think the R/O station will help at all?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It really depends on what kind of algae you have, and why. High phophates can be from using tap water, as can silica. If this is the case, then yes, RO will get rid of it eventually. If the algae is from too many nutrients, RO won't help a bit. Reduced feedings will. If the algae is from light bulbs that are old and have shifted spectrum, new bulbs will help. If you have the red slime algae (that's actually bacteria, not a true algae), RO may help, but probably isn't a sure thing.

In my experience, it's usually not just one thing that causes an algae problem. It's a combination of several things. This is a starting point.

We have a lawn mower blenny, and he eats a lot of algae off the glass. Because we don't mind the natural look of some algae on the rocks and back walls of the tank, it's no big deal. If we were trying to get rid of the algae completely, the blenny would be a silly waste. As is, it's fun to watch him 'kiss' the glass and scrape the algae off. Leaves weird little tracks through the algae, like some sort of bizarre crop circle.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
That mower blenny sounds cool....

I'll try a few things and see what happens. Like you said, the algae look doesn't really bother me. I have some green type algae that actually looks like hair or fur. It mostly grows on the back of the galss in blotches untill it fills in. there is also some on my decrative dead corals but not on my LR.

Thanks for your imput....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store