the hexagon fight

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thekid55

just a kid who reads alot
Sep 3, 2005
atlanta, GA
alright i love keeping fish and so does my friend fishtank88 we live right next to each other and every day we have a hour conversation about fish and our tanks. i have a ten gallon freshwater and a 120 gal saltwater. he has a ten gallon freshwater and a gallon guppy tank which has baby guppys that he breeded.he also has a 55 gallon hex which has nothing in it. he wants to start a salt but heard a rummer that it limits your fish variety and a huge list of other bad things.i keep telling him that it is all a bunch of half truths and starting it up would be great idea. does any one have or seen a saltwater hex been done and if so please give me any info from filters, skimmers, lighting, to fish, corals and inverts.

thanks for the help we will keep fighting about it

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
It's not a great shape, but can be done. It's generally easier to have a low, wide tank, so that light can penetrate and you have easy access. For a tank that height, he should probably go with a metal halide light above 250 watt.

It might actually make a nice display, with a reef of live rock in the center, and all-round viewing.

The livestock will depend on his tastes and pocketbook. With a good HOB skimmer, some powerheads for circulation and halides, he could keep almost anything that will fit. Smaller fish, like clowns, gobies, cardinals, hawkfish and so on would be better choices for a tank that size.

frobie

AC Members
Oct 21, 2005
I have a 60 gallon hexagon saltwater tank. I don't have pics up but I can get them up this weekend. I have 45+ lbs of Live rock in the middle of the tank. I use a wet/dry with a Mag 5 on the return and a SeaClone 100 with the heater in the sump. It is a very attractive tank, but it does limit mobility for the fish. My tankmates are a lionfish and a zebra moray eel (yes im aware eventually he will need more room, but he's a slow grower) and 3 damsels (which will eventually dissapear :) )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store