The Best powerheads

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
i am looking for a good quality powerhead that is veryquiet, i currently running a 1200 litres per hour, 560 gallong on a 40 gallon tank. do i need bigger or will this be ok. the main thing i want is for it to be quiet, not like my weipro one which is quite noisy.

Henrye

AC Members
Oct 18, 2005
For a 40g tank, you could look at the large AC or an Emperor 400, both of which will optimally give you a 10X turnover in your tank. However for 40g, you should really look at some canisters, especially if noise is a big issue.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Do you want a filter, or power head?

I'd go with a maxi-jet. I have 3 maxijet 600's in my 29gallon, and 5 MJ 1200's in my 65gallon. They're quiet and reliable. Thats if you want power heads.

I have a fluval 204, but I hate to clean canister filters, and I have a Penguin 400 but its loud.

Neil.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
i already have a cannister that is running 2140 litres, around 550 gallons. i want a internal powerhead for some circulation, it need to be silent so i can get to sleep. lol :huh:

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
as long as only the suction cups or power head holder is touching the glass all of them should be quiet. i'd go with a maxi jet.

best powerhead is no powerhead.but if u need 1 i've had several & the best is my fluval 3 wich may have been an internal filter I took the houseing off. Inside theres contours for downtubes but!!! the model I have didn't come with reverse flow!!! they may have it now but as I said the best i've had so this ones realy old :) & that means for fishloss & cleaning wich is none.Ive lost so many fish to powerheads & most clog up or @ least attract stuff around their intake. I swear I can't even find the intake on the fluval 3 .I'e had so much bad luck with powerheads i'm only useing 1 downtube now for a 90 gallon & thats only because the fluvals still going so strong. get a submersible powerhead wich mine must be to avoid small shocks

Nov 15, 2004
I'd have to suggest Marineland cuz thats all I have ever used and so far so good...right now running two Penguin 660's on my 29g.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
telecubby, what are you talking about? how can your fish get caught in a powerhead? you should clean them monthy, just like everything in your tank so they should work for a long time. using a fluval is a waste of $$ for a powerhead, you can get a stronger maxijet that uses less watts, and you just keep it in your tank.

helloooo fluval make powerheads. & some other powerheads suck fish into spots around the control adjutments for flow & direction & the fluval (POWERHEAD) doesnt have any, it just runs @ a constant rate(give or take)
I said fluval 3 not 403 wich would be a cannister.Why be so critical about something you don't know about,if it hasen't happened to you kindly don't interject as if it could never happen to anyone.Ive read other posts about powerheads killing curious fish & you should too.Its not the fishes fault for being curious .Theres no reason to be so sceptacle ,it's only advice. We're not writeing the bible here .wastememphis how would you know what i'm talking about. Use whatever you want ,whatever works for you feel free to suggest to others ,but don't overly critisize me or you leave yourself open to the same sort of scrutiny.I still have my fluval 1 mysis thats a simillar tiny unit that was for a shallow tank originaly & it works great too ,this was an internal filter too (drop in the tank type) but I have no idea where the tops are to hold the media anymore but it doesn't matter on a down tube ,the little one could suck in life if there was no baffle & sponge in my refugium because its not connected to a down-tube .now a large powerhead can draw a fish into it & adgetate a sore if it cant get away,thin scined fish are toast.I found a frog with his foot stuck & I mean stuck.I had to turn the whole unit wich slid tightly like a sleave enough to release his tiny foot. hes fine now ,can't tell him apart.The go searching around the flows & seems in some units can suck in fish .You can tel where this might happen if plant debris collects around the venturi openning or speed slider controls .I realy wish I didn't have to type all this out in full watsememphis because i'm afraid you still don't understand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store