my ghost shrimp are carring eggs???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KAIKS

AC Members
Mar 27, 2003
Oahu, Hawaii
Visit site
yesterday i noticed that my g/s was carring eggs than i noticed another had eggs too. what should i do??? should i put them in a fry net until they hatch or lay the eggs??? or just leave them in the tank.

the tank mates are 6 male guppies in a 10g with lots of rocks/caves

thanks

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
Chances are the eggs will get destroyed or eaten and you would not have any baby shrimp. I would suggest unless you have another tank to put them in then just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
There are multiple species sold as Ghost Shrimp, some are true FW (advanced reproduction, offspring resemble the parents and settle out quickly after hatch) and some are BW (offspring look nothing like the parents, drift in the plankton layer through several molts before they resmble the parents and settle out). If yours are true FW Ghost Srimp (which can take BW but not require it), they will breed perfectly well in FW. However, if other fish are present, or IME even many other shrimp, baby shrimp are live food.

A breeding trap is a waste of time IME. A heavily planted tank will work.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
I have 3 in my tank, I wish they would carry eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store