lingering bacteria problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pwrflpills

AC Members
Oct 19, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
I had a bacterial infection problem recently with my Gold Pristella Tetras that I treated with clear liquid Anti-Bacteria stuff, I think made by Jungle purchased at Petsmart. Anyway, there were no instructions on the bottle except for the dosage amount. Since the sick fish didn't seem to improve after a couple doses (ulcers, imbalance, red gills) I was ultimately putting in about a half-dose everyday. After about 2 weeks, one healthy looking GPT died and then 4 days later the really sick looking one finally died (1 remains). About 2 weeks after that, one of my Red Serpae tetras died (now 3 remain). NOW the remaining GPT is having balance issues (sinking tail, etc), I assume due to bacteria effecting his swim bladder, and he still has red gills, which I've read are a sign of bacteria infection.

Also, feeling desperate, I've been adding salt to the tank lately, since I've read in places that it's kind of a "fix-all". Any truth to this?

Since my first round of treatments with what I think was a bacterial infection did not work too well, any ideas what to do with the remaining GPT and in the future? Or was I just way off thinking it was bacteria?!

Last edited:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Can you give us some more details about the tank? Size, inhabitants (down to one fish right?), ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? What exactly were the symptoms (red gills, ulcers (what did they look like), imbalance (how were they swimming...upside down? Floating? sinking?)... Etc.

pwrflpills

AC Members
Oct 19, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
details

20 gal
3 black mollies
1 gold pristella tetra (2 recently died)
3 red serpae tetra (1 recently died)
1 Oto
2 white clouds

I vaccum the tank and do about a 30-40% water change once a month. I try not to stir up the gravel too much as to not get an algae bloom (had that problem once before). I also change the filter media and put in new carbon. I just read that may not be necessary and changing the media removes a lot of the good bacteria. It just looks so nasty and smells, I used to think it was a source of my probelems. But every month, the last one I put in is just as nasty as the one it replaced.

Mardel 5in1 strips say Ammonia/Nitrite are 0 (doesn't really have "Ammonia" reading), Nitrate in the 30-40ppm range. I know I should try to reduce that, but when I feed them less, the Nitrate doesn't seem to go down.

Red gills - the gill plates became pink/reddish. Nothing sticking out.
Ulcers - were ulcers. Not sure what else I could say.
Imbalance - the fish's tail sinks - he makes quick moves to stay upright. This has carried on for about 3 weeks now. His tail is also slightly bent downward, so I assume the illness has created some sort of dysplasia - again leading me to believe it's a bacteria problem. He hasn't been eating and I notice this morning that his "gut" is now getting smaller.

The only symptom I could see on the red serpae was that his lip appeared white for many weeks, but it never became a cottony, fungus-looking growth and never spread or worsened. He was just bright red and one day when I got home...dead. Never had funny behavior.

Last edited:

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
I'd suggest doing weekly 25% water changes (be sure to dechlorinate the water before adding it) rather than waiting a month. The smell equates to poor water conditions and 40ppm nitrate will support that. You should shoot for 20 ppm or less.

Next time the filter is clogged, do a 25% water change (on your weekly schedule) and rinse the filter media well in the 5 gallons of tank water you just removed. Unless its a bio-wheel, when you toss a filter out, about 99% of your beneficial bacteria goes with it. So your bio-cycle has to start over every month. Directly after a filter change, your ammonia and nitrite levels probably spike, which is very toxic to the fish.

With a 20g tank, your hang-on-back filter should be turning at least 200 gallons per hour. If you get sick of the media changes, invest in an AquaClear....the filter media really never needs to be changed in those things....just rinsed occasionally.

Also, I suggest replacing those Mardel test strips with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid test kits. An ammonia is probably the most important since it is most toxic to fish.

Last edited:

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Also, bacteria thrive in poor water conditions, so frequent water changes will probably solve your problems.

If you never took the carbon out of your filter, it aborbed any medication and rendered it useless. Need to remove carbon when medicating (another reason to run an AquaClear....no carbon).

Hold off on the salt. Clean water should be the ticket.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
hi there..

i agree wid galaxie..
i think ur h2o changes should be more frequent than once a month..

its probable that poor water conditions have done this to ur tank as poor water quality can stress and lower the immune system of ur fishes..

gud luk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store