Ill Pearl Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ksimmo1

AC Members
Aug 28, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I have a well established 55 gallon tank stocked mostly with gouramis and a lot of plants. About a month ago I added 3 pearl gouramis (1 male and two female) and they have been doing fine. Then last night one of the females started acting like she had swin bladder disease. She was swimming vertically (head up) throughout the tank about 1/2 an inch below the water line, she just could not make it to the surface to breath. I got up in the middle of the night to check on her and found her swimming in tight circles on the bottom of the tank, it looked just like the mating dance that gouramis do. I also noticed that one of her eyes was clouding over. Then when I got home from work tonight, not only was I suprised to find her still alive, but her eyes are buldging out of her head.

I have tested the water in my tank and it is perfectly normal and none of the other fish are showing any signs of infection or disease. I really don't expect her to make it through the night, but I am curious to what it is and fearful that it may spread throughout the tank.

Last edited:

knashash

AC Members
Oct 28, 2004
Sounds like a bacterial infection that needs to be treated.....if possible I would quarentine her to a seperate tank/container and treat that to try and save her

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store