Eheim Classic 2217 Vs. Rena Filstar XP3

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eheim Classic 2217 Vs Rena Filstar XP3

• Total voters

tazcrash69

AC Members
Apr 19, 2005
Hawthorne NJ
At the risk of starting the canister filter equivalent of a religious war,

Which one? Eheim, has a great rep, Filstar has some nice bells and whistles (Disconnect for one).

Has anyone had both of these? Has someone switched, and then regretted, or didn't regret?

Thanks

I work at a fish retail store and deal with canisters on a daily basis at the store,my customers homes, and also at my house. I would advise u to go with the XP. They are a very easy to mantain and very easy to operate filter. They are much more powerful than ehiems and fluvals and are even cheaper. Or at least at my store. Just my first hand experince though. I have two XP's and they are awsome.

tazcrash69

AC Members
Apr 19, 2005
Hawthorne NJ
Thanks for the input Fishworker, Out of curiosity, do you have experience with the Eheim 2206? It looks like it's design has more in common with the filstar.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
i have both the xp3 and eheim, and id go for the eheim. though a little less powerful, its dead silent and is a breeze to maintain.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I also work in a fish store and I would recommend the eheim any day over other canister filters hands down with no argument. They are top of the line filters and thier quality and performance is outstanding. Looks like your poll is running neck in neck with each other but I still think that the eheim is a better filter.

Marinemom

kjf91004

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
Eau Claire, WI
Bells and whistles are not all they are cracked up to be. The more gadgets, the more gaskets there are, and more there is to go wrong. I have the 2217. It is simple and reliable. I love it. I wouldn't buy anything else. The selling point for me was maintenance. Not only is it easier to maintain, but I have to do it less often. (It also helps for me that I have the 2217 on my 38g. I can't use the spray bar because it provides too much current :) )

Doc Fosters has some good articles that helped me decide:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=&aid=426

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store