Ledge, Cliff, Terrace, Bluffs Penn Plax product

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
they still make those? Ive had those for like 10 years now.

And you're right, they are cheap plastic things.

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
Thanks. I guess I won't mail-order any. I'll just have to keep an eye open for them at any pet stores I visit.

I was hoping that one of the corner kind would work out in a 55 gallon tank and get covered with the same color gravel as the tank's substrate. I guess if they are kind of flimsy I don't want to put a couple pounds of gravel on one.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I have them, and had them up in my 55 when I had it running before. First..as to Slips comment..yep they are plastic. I thought they were neat, and I did have gravel on them,a nd when I did the plastic plant and plastic rock thing they looked just fine. I have since decided to go the realistic route and don't like to mix the real with the plastic.

I have ditched all my plastic plants and some of the cheesier rocks, but I did keep these, and the interlocking rocks, by the same maker I believe.

The problem, IMO..is cleaning under and on top of them. I use a python and it knocks stuff around and out of line, so you have to straighten out everything afterwards. And you can pile too much gravel on them so they slip out of line...terraces look rather funny when crooked. I put some shorter plants on top of them. I had tons of plants..

I did like them..and may use them again..or maybe not. Haven't decided. The fish like them...somewhere to hide under. I'll see if I have any pics of my tank when I had them.

They aren't really cheap tho... :laugh:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I'm not a big fan of the shelfs for the reasons Nursie stated, you constantly have to work to keep them in place especially if there is any weight on them. the cliffs and caves and the lok rocks are great. cheap plastic with some algea looks very natural for a small amount of money. I am not currently using any of mine, but definately would not throw them away, they all have about 7 or 8 years in my old tanks and served me well. The penn Plax caves are by far the fastest easiest way to add additional hiding places to a tank.
Dave

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Well, now that you brought them back to my attention,...I think I'm going to drag out the smaller of my 2 ledges and put in my 2.5 betta tank. It ought to give him something to do! thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store