Looking to upgrde filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrebolton

Only the strong survive...
Oct 20, 2005
Honolulu
I currently have a 40 gallon saltwater tank. My primary filter is is a Whisper Power 60, with a Seaclone 100. My water quality is not doing so good for my 3 yellowtails, 1 domino, 1 yellow tang, and 1 piccaso. I want to upgrade to a Magnum 350 canister, dont know too much about filter. Can I remove the current filter and start the new filter without disturbing the biological filter? Or can anyone offer any ideas on how to upgrade to better filtration?

Last edited:
If u go w/ a new canister filter make sure u buy ceramic ring, bio-balls, etc... and put them in the top basket. At first run both filters at the same time and then after a few weeks u should be able to remove the whisper with little to no affect. Depending on what u think, why not keep both filters permantley. Question about ur cloudy water. How often do u feed? How long has the tank been up, and how often do u gravelvac or waterchange? Also buy purigen from seachem and put it in ur canister also. One pack of purigen treats 100gallons of water byitself and its totally rechargeable. I highly recommend that.

mrebolton

Only the strong survive...
Oct 20, 2005
Honolulu
Thanks, I have been thinking of just keeping both filters to have a better biological filter. I was thinking that I could take the old filter off and start the new one. My tank have been running for almost a year. The water is not too cloudy and I feed twice a day, first pellets, second brine. I just get a lot of brown build up on my glass and corals. But I think a new addition of a filter with some good micron polishing will clear things up

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
mrebolton said:
I currently have a 40 gallon saltwater tank. My primary filter is is a Whisper Power 60, with a Seaclone 100. My water quality is not doing so good for my 3 yellowtails, 1 domino, 1 yellow tang, and 1 piccaso. I want to upgrade to a Magnum 350 canister, dont know too much about filter. Can I remove the current filter and start the new filter without disturbing the biological filter? Or can anyone offer any ideas on how to upgrade to better filtration?
I'd say part of the problem is the heavy bioload - four damsels are fine in a 40g, but both the yellow tang and Picasso (I'm assuming trigger) are WAY too large for this size of tank.
I agree that running both filters is a good idea (you can't really over-filter a tank), but I'd also advise finding a new home for the tang and trigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store