Cured or Uncured for most life?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TAZ3503

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
hi,
I need to purchase about 70lbs of live rock for my tank. I want to get the most biodiversity I can on the rock. I've been told I would get the most life from cured live rock, but then I've heard you get the most biodiversity from uncured. Which is best? I would also like any input on what's the most colorful live rock out there. I've seen some sites online that show really nice looking pieces but I am hesitant to buy live rock online. anyone have experiece with these dealers? any input greatly appreciated.
thanks,

richtpe

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I don't personally have any experience with them, but I've read great things about Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock on these forums. Sounds like they come with lots of life on them.
As far as cured vs. uncured, I've got to imagine that you're going to have some die-off with uncured rock, so even if it came with more life, not all of it may make it through the curing process. I'm not too sure about this though and I'm sure that others could speak more knowledgably about it.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Uncured rock has the highest diversity, although much of it is dead or dying on arrival.

As richtpe says, TBS rock probably has the most live stuff of anything out there. I have had a couple of shipments, and it has been amazing. It is shipped in water, so there's very little die off after it arrives. Gulf-view is supposedly similar.

The flip side of diversity is that you can get some nasties. I pulled 7 mantis, plus several destructive hairy crabs and a few fleshy limpets from the last shipment.

TAZ3503

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
thanks a bunch. I found the website for the tampa bay live rock and it looks really good. I'm actually thinking about getting it but i've heard fiji rock is a lot better. At that website they have a thing called the package where you get live rock, sand, and a bunch of critters for a reasonable price. thanks a bunch!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store