55 gallon stocking* FW, SW, BW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stocking: Please post possible stocking list

• Total voters

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
This was previously posted in the General Freshwater, but I wanted to let you salty guys have a turn. :)

Needless to say, the results were very biased, as I expect they will be here.
Poll Results (as of when this thread was posted):
FW Community- 20 votes- 46.51%
FW Cichlids- 9 votes- 20.93%
FW Oddball/ Big Fish/ Single Species- 7 votes- 16.28%
SW FOWLR- 4 votes- 9.30%
Brackish- 3 votes- 6.98%

Hey Everybody. I have a 55 gallon tank, and wanted to know what you guys think I should do with it. Right now, I'm leaning towards a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) Marine setup, but I'm open to all suggestions. After voting, please feel free to post a stocking list. (please do this!) I know that since this is in the General Freshwater the results might be biased, but...

My Equipment:
55 gallon All-Glass Aquarium
Filter (not sure what kind, I bought everthing used)
Heater
Thermometer
Undergravel Filter
2 Powerheads
Hood with lights

I am willing to buy more equipment to go w/ the setup (such as skimmer and hydrometer for sw tank)

Thank you! Everyone's opinion is important!

mrebolton

Only the strong survive...
Oct 20, 2005
Honolulu
Diehard Saltwater Fan

To give you a few opinions, first make sure all that used equipment is cleaned and functioning properly. If you have a few extra dollars to spend, go get all new equipment. But the one thing that is a must, is your protein skimmer. You cant even think of starting a saltwater tank with live rock without one.

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
I have just set up a 55 FOWLR and its only inhabitant is a 2" radiata lionfish.. what a fish though great looking a a great character! I would recomend one as a centrepiece to a 55

pbrack

GO SENS GO!
Oct 8, 2005
IS there any particular reason you wouldn't go with a full blown reef tank? I much preferred that over FOWLR (which I used to have). Live rock is neat looking, but it looks a lot better whn covered with corals. And yu can get some low light ones in which you won't need to buy MH!

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
THANK YOU ALL!!

pbrack: the main reson i said FOWLR is that it is cheaper i don"t want to spend lots of money on lights and around here marine inverts are expensive too but if i find a coral or invert that doesn"t require intense lighting i will probably get it (provided that it fits with my tank scheme)

DAN: you read my mind i am almost definitley getting some kind of small lion for my tank i also want a snowflake moray eel ( and maybe a foxface)

THANKS AGAIN
ANYONE ELSE?

i apologize for my wierd typing< something ks wrong with with my pc :mad2:

wannabefishguru

learning to be the best
but make sure you have newer light bulbs though, still with FOWLR you still adequete lighting to get the full benefit from the live rock but i wouldn't go out and buy some pc or metal or T5 just make sure you have new bulbs in your current hood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store