Mountain Shrimp Advise!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gold

AC Members
Oct 9, 2005
Essex, UK
www.operationmafia.co.uk
God-dam-it, I was strolling around my local aquarium shop, looking for inhabitants for my soon to be new tank, so I could do some research on them. And I came across these rather big shrimp, from the distance I thought they may have been baby crayfish, and my heart jumped (hard to see let alone buy in the UK).
But at closer inspection it read ‘Mountain Shrimp’, and they were a beautiful dark reddish/brown colour, and rather larger that my imagination of shrimp.

I had been planning on keeping a ghost/glass shrimp species tank so know the basics on shrimp. But when I went on the internet for information on this new love of my life, the information was extremely limited.

Can anyone shed any information on this mountain shrimp?
What do they eat? How big do they get? Will I get two in a 5.5 gallon? Is their ideal environment the same to other shrimp? Do they eat live plants? Do they do ok in just a pair, or do they need a bigger community of the same species?

Oh and one major question. Do I still need to cycle the tank? I would only be keeping two of them in there, and I know shrimp do not excrete much, while the plants will oxygenate the water. As for the ‘good bacteria’, would it not grow slowly with the two shrimp. Otherwise I will build it up high for a month cycling, only for there not being enough waste to feed the bacteria after the cycle…

Thanks for your time reading and hopefully someone will have some answers :)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
as long as you do water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrites down, there shouldn't be a problem with cycling. since they don't excrete much, you won't need very high amounts of bacteria to take care of it. the bacteria grows at a steady rate. the amount of waste available only influences the final size of the bacterial colony, not the time it takes for it to develop, and since you don't need a lot of bacteria for the small amounts of waste (don't have to wait for them to divide into a very large colony), you should cycle quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store