Green Chromis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saltyflash

AC Members
Oct 16, 2005
I have (had) 9 blue green chromis in a 75 gallon. These were introduced into a tank with two yellow-tailed blue damsels that had the entire tank to themselves other than crabs, cleaner shrimp, snails etc.
The damsels became far more aggressive to all in the tank after the chromis were put in. Okay, that's to be expected due to territorial behavior except after 3 days I was down to 3 chromis and the shrimp were nearly antenna-less. (It definitely was the damsels... I watched the attacks; they got bright blue and were far more excited... and were actually quite attractive in their hunting colors but...)
Anyway, after much effort I removed the damsels to try to establish a more peaceful tank in order to eventually get more interesting and cool fish and put 4 more chromis in to form a better sized school. All is well... but no! It seems the chromis school peacefully (it would seem) until one is picked to be bullied to death and as of now I am down to 4.
BTW, all the chemistry is good and all animals look and act healthy, that is until the chosen one is badgered to death.
While the chromis are still kinda small I hesitate to put any other fish in until I understand the dynamics of what is happening. Is this typical?
Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:
My question to u is why would u even want damsels in ur tank. After ur tank is cycled i would recommend to stay away from all damsels due to their agrressivness on being unpredictable at times. Yea its cool to see them school but its to risky to other tank mates to have damsels. Buy a pair of clowns and watch them school. It may only be 2, but they will school and stay together.

saltyflash

AC Members
Oct 16, 2005
Good point about damsels but I was under the assumption that all damsels were not created equal and these green were supposed to be fairly mellow in nature. Live and learn I guess. This may solve itself tho since they seem to be beating each other up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store