Honey Red Dwarf Gouramis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Anyone out there ever heard of them, or kept them? I just acquired two and they are beautiful, and a lot of fun to watch.
I think the proper name is Colisia Lalia. Any feed back on habits and water parameters would be appreciated.
Len

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I am pretty sure all the dwarf gouramies are just different color morphs--I know that the difference between the gold, blues, etc in the larger cousins.

If I recall, the honey's are a peach color with red fringed fins? Really pretty. Mine have never gotten very big--think 3 cm is about average. Fairly friendly, not bullies like my neons were.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Wander off to make a cup of tea, and that WetFeller shows up with the heavy documentation. I'd always been a little confused about whether or not these were hybrids or just color morphs…

Hey, there's no document! Fishbase sends searches for colisa sota to colisa chuna, regular Honey Gouramis.

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I had a pair of "Blue Face" Gouramis which were Honey Gouramis (I believe) with a blue spot near the tail. I know, it's a$$ backwards. Probably some hybrid. Anyway, they were very docile and very often grazing among the plants (leaf surface, not actually eating them) and rocks (again, the surface, not actually eating them!). They were very entertaining b/c they would do "headstands" and many times seem like they were going to flip!

Again tea comes up...carpguy. Can we just make tea the "Official Beverage of AC" already?

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Did tea come up again? Maybe it was the mention of honey…

Pavlov must have his bell out again. :D

I've been hunting down the Honey Gourami (t. chuna -- its apparently been moved from colisa to trichogaster), and I've seen a bunch of gouramis that wind up getting associated with it. I think some are color morphs and others are hybrids. Haven't come across one with a blue spot. Very confusing area.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store