Should I use the Fluval 404 filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tinghich

Registered Member
Sep 15, 2005
Hi,
I'm a newbie trying to setup an 46-gallon SW tank from FW setup. I have 2 powerheads with a skimmer. Should I use the Fluval 404 filter from FW (with new prefilter, foam and carbon media)? I read another thread it saw that it increase bacteria. TIA.

TN

acefred

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
I think a fluval will work great for you, you want bacteria to help clean the water, however (and I don't do salt water) I think carbon is bad for these aquariums as it removes some trace "stuff" that is needed................

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
carbon can actually be pretty benificial to saltwater, it pulls chemiclas released from soft corals out of the water (they bond to the carbon). it also makes your water clear.

That would make a fine filter as long as you clean it out and get new stuff in it like you mentioned. I have a 204 on my 29gallon. You just have to keep up on maitnence or it will become a problem. You'll get alot of curd in it.

Neil.

xistheshape

AC Members
Oct 17, 2005
Im actualy running a 404 on my reef tank As the main source of filtration . Its not a bad filter BUT i would reccomend EHEIM

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
yeah i got a 40 gallon and im running a 570 gallon per hour weipro on it, it does the job very well, you will have to clean it often though to keep nitrates down. You way want to aim ofr a bigger filter, as they say the bigger the better. but it may not be nessacary, i just like a clean tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store