Recommend smaller plecos please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pzuzu

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Hello,

I would really like to add a pleco to my 46g tank but almost all the fish stores I go to have plecos...but they all grow to be huge! Anybody know of some smaller plecos, preferably hardier ones? I've heard that rubberlip plecos will grow to be only about 6". That sounds pretty good, but are there any that are even smaller?

Oh, and of course... please recommend peaceful ones. I have a community tank and except for my lonely serpae tetra (nasty mean sometimes) they are all peaceful fish.

Thanks!
Fernando

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
Skip the pleco's and get otto's (Otocinclus vestitus is usually offered). IMO they're better algae eaters, don't add such a bio load, and are never large or aggressive. However they will starve without algae or supplements, and are more sensitive to water quality. If your LFS is any good expect to find them in a planted tank. If they're in a bare "sterile" tank they're likely undernourished. Ottos should have plump abdomens.

I'm not as well versed in pleco's as some on the board but if your set on pleco's look for the genus Ancistrus usually "gold nugget pleco" and "bristlenose". Or the genus Peckoltia which includes the "rubber plecos". I've often found common names used randomely so be sure you trust your LFS or you may get a large pleco by mistake. In this age of the internet don't forget that books still work. Borrow one off of the shelf or bring your own. Of course printing pics from a website doesn't hurt if you're "biblio-phobic". Rarely has google or yahoo let me down searching for info based on common names, give it a try.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
if yr going for a pleco - L102 snowball - 6" OR.....
L316 - Rio Jari Zebra - 3.5"

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
bristlenoses are good, they get around 4-6 inches. the gold nuggets stay small, but are expensive, around $30 and can be very delicate. hard to acclimate, they often starve. if you really like surprises and aren't much for instant gratification, you may want to get a ringlet pleco. they only get about 4 inches, but mine hides for weeks at a time only eating driftwood (which they need to have). when i finally see it peeking out, it's like getting a late birthday present. they're a stripey green and yellow fish, and very pretty when you manage to get a glimpse of them.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
I've had my clown plec for over a year and it's only 4 inches. I only see it about once a month though so it's not exactly high profile in my tank. That's what I get for having large driftwood with lots of caves.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
The chocolate pleco max's out around 6", it is not aggressive at all. I picked mine up at Petsmart so they should be fairly common.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends on the 'chocolate'--many are actually just a color morph on the common and will still get to 18+ inches. I have a lovely one right now that's about 9 inches and still growing.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Really? I was not aware of that. I must have an actual chocolate as it is 1.5 years old and only 5.5 long. My common's that are 6-7 months are already 6-7"

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If the chocolate is in with other pleco's, that's probably the reason yours is still small. Mine was in with a large, male bristlenose for the first 6-9 months I had it, and stayed about 4-5 inches. I moved it into a tank with no other 'pleco' fish, and within 2 months it hit 8 inches. I suspect that chocolates are more sensitive to the hormones from a dominant fish than many commons--but that's just theory. Do you have a pic?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store