Salt Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
I was wondering if anyone has this problem with their salt they use in their tank. My problem is that it starts to harden up after I open it and start using it. I am seeing this in the 200 gal. buckets. I store mine in the only place I have in a utility closet about 6 ft away from my tank. I do keep the lid on it if anyone is wondering. But this is getting to be a big problem because when I get to the middle of the bucket it gets so hard that I have to chip pieces off. :mad2:

mrebolton

Only the strong survive...
Oct 20, 2005
Honolulu
Well I must agree with you, I have the same problem, as I sure everyone else who has a saltwater tank. To my knowledge thats something that you cant control. The ocean salt is very delicate and once exposed to the moisture thats in the air, it will soon harden it not used. Its just like brown sugar, when you first buy it, its nice and soft, but when you go to use it again, its like a brick. Try to buy only what you are going to use. Like me, I bought a forty-five gallon plastic garbage can, with wheels. I buy fifty gallons worth of salt and mix it all in there and thats lasts me about two months, because I only have a forty gallon. If you go that route, make sure you keep a powerhead or an airstone for circulation and a heater too, cause I keep mine in the garage.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Well if it works like brown sugar then you can buy small ceramic tabs that help keep brown sugar from clumping. Also a slice of regualr white bread helps to keep brown sugar from clumping as well. It might work with salt.

frobie

AC Members
Oct 21, 2005
I just take a broom handle (thouroughly cleaned of course) and break up the salt clumps

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
try keeping a couple sheets of paper towel in the bin if you don't want to try the breead. I don't know if it works with the salt but I do know it helps keep lettuce from turning brown in the fridge.... it absorbs the extra moisture... I think it's safetly worth a shot....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store