Beta Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

arronaf79

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
I have a 36 gallon corner tank that I want to put a beta I have into, the beta is currently in a 5 gallon set-up. I have the tank fully cycled (fishless) and was wondering what types of fish if any can be kept with a beta? Anyone ever kept other with them? I see them in tanks at LFS but trust very little of anything I see there. Thank for your advice in advance.

Arron

Jeromee

AC Members
Oct 22, 2005
I currently have two male bettas, and I'm setting up a 20 gallon community (kinda) tank soon. I plan to put panda cory's and ghost shrimp in with the betta. As for problems, the ghost shrimp are probably going to be the the most stressed by the betta, but, if you have plenty of hiding places, you can put different things in. So far, after tons of research, and talking to betta owners, I have found that these fish are compatable:
White Clouds
Panda Cory
Zebra Danio

You really want to stay away from other aggressive fish, and fin nippers.

Hope this helps...

secretmuscles

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Houston
you can house bettas in normal "community" style tank. Small tetra along with some other peaceful fish would make great companions for your betta. Stay away from fin nippers such as barbs, ANY KIND OF GOURAMI, angel fish etc. You cory catfish will be great companions.

Jeromee

AC Members
Oct 22, 2005
willy:-) said:
Danios are fin nippers! ;)
I don't believe Zebra Danios are fin nippers at all, I know a few people have had good luck with them and bettas, now, I suppose it all depends, theres have been very mellow. Also Zebra Danios are used in female betta tanks, because they will distract the females and keep them from fighting. Hope this helps.... :D

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
What do you currently have in the 36g tank? Bettas can sometimes mix with other fish, sometimes not. It also depends greatly on the bettas personality, they can quite feisty themselves!! FYI, some tetras, regardless of size can be fin nippers too

arronaf79

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
currently I have nothing in the 36 tank. All my fish with exception of the betta are in my 55. I figured I would put the beta in the 36 from his 5 and build the rest around him. He is in the 36 and is much more active now that he has lots of space to roam.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Jeromee said:
I don't believe Zebra Danios are fin nippers at all, I know a few people have had good luck with them and bettas, now, I suppose it all depends, theres have been very mellow. Also Zebra Danios are used in female betta tanks, because they will distract the females and keep them from fighting. Hope this helps.... :D
Well...right after my 40 gallon was cycled, I added 8 zebra danio's, several cory cats and a beautiful male betta. The danio's stripped the poor betta's fins to shreds and harrased him quite literally to death. I witnessed the fin nipping and harrasing with my own eyes. I removed the poor betta as soon as a noticed it but it was too late for him :sad: Since that time I have developed a strong dislike to the poor guys(danio's..I love bettas). They went back to my LFS the next day. So I not only believe it...I have witnessed it.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I think you could have a very pretty peaceful community tank with your betta being the centerpiece of it. I think some pretty rasbora's would look nice with him and I agree with the small tetras. Cardinals are extremely pretty. Good luck.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
When looking for betta tank mates, please keep one thing in mind: your betta is happiest when his tank is around 80 degrees. A lot of fish do not like that at all.

Personally I think that betta compatibility is trial and error. As someone said, each betta has its own personalty and some will tolerant some fish and not others. The same goes for the fish you put in with him. Some danios will be fine with him and some will not. If your betta is your centerpiece, then I would start with "safe" fish that will not hurt him. Here is some information I dug up for someone else. While doing this research I found that almost every site I visited had different max temps, different min aquarium size, and different personalty traits for each fish, so please don't shoot the messenger:

Relatively Safe Fishes and Good for 10 Gallon Tanks
Freshwater Ghost (or Glass) Shrimp (Paleomonetes sp.): your Betta might nip or even try to eat one. They won't hurt your betta though.

Platy Fish (Xiphophorus maculatus and Xiphophorus variatus): VERY docile. I've read in most places that their max tank temp is 77 degrees. Again, the betta may chase them.

White Clouds (Tanichthys albonubes): school fish so you'll want at least 6. The Betta may chase them, but they're pretty quick and can get out of the way. VERY rarely will a white cloud nip a betta.

Aquatic Snails: Black Mystery Snail (Pomacea bridgesi) or the Gold Mystery Snail (Pomacea canaliculata).

Fishes for Bigger Aquariums
Swordtails (Xiphophorus helleri) can be nippy and your betta might nip them, but they usually get along. 20 gallon tank.

Mollies (Poecilia latipinna) great tank friends, but will need 20-30 gallons. Although Mollies live in both fresh and saltwater, they do best in slightly salted aquarium water (tbsp per gallon of water). Long term salt, however, is not good for betta fish.

Angel Fish (Pterophyllum sp.) also a labyrinth fish, but needs 30 gallons. I wouldn't start this fish in anything smaller. Majority say they're good with bettas, I dunno about that. Proceed with caution.

Danios (Brachydanio rerio, Brachydanio frankei, Brachydanio albolineatus) 10 gallon. Schooling fish, groups of six or more. I put them down here because of a cautionary note: many people keep these with betta fish, but the max temperature I can find is for the Turquoise Danio (Brachydanio kerri) at 77 degrees. All other danios are listed as 64-75. Betta water may be too warm for these fish. They can also be nippy. Proceed with caution.

Gouramis: Gouramis can be semi-agressive with their own kind and with other fish at times. IF you want to try this, stick with a Gold or Opaline Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus) and not try any of the other ones. Of the Trichogaster trichopterus there are three variations: blue, gold, and opaline. The blue is the most territorial of the three and chases the other fish. If you do gouramis, then add 1 or 4 or more, but never 2 or 3. They will terrorize everyone in the tank if there are less than 4. A lot of people say they are good with bettas, I dunno about that. Proceed with caution.

Corycats (Corydoras), especially the Agassizi Corycat (Corydoras agassizi). 30 Gallons, but MANY people keep them with betta fish in 6-10 gallon tanks. They are schooling fish, so plan on at least 6 of them. Be aware that the max temp for a corycat is 79 degrees. Your betta may harrass them, but if you put at least 6 in, he won't always be bugging the same one. Less stress for corycat. I've had cories with bettas, worked great.

Some people keep Bala Sharks and Clown Loaches as well, but Sharks need 70 gallons and the Clowns 50, so I'll just leave it at that.

One more thing: I've had a Trinidad pl*co in my 6 gal Eclipse doing algae duty for a couple of weeks (he's a traveling guy that goes from tank to tank) and after an initial aggression scene (click here if you want to read about that), he gets along pretty good with Jakers, the betta fish. Jakers leaves him alone and he leaves Jakers alone. He'd be too big for your tank, but I just wanted to mention it.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store