Huge tank filter options, lighting, water movement

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eng55

Easy E
May 14, 2005
Ames, IA Iowa State University
I recently bought a 250g tank from a buddy for 500. I am thinking about turning it into a fowlr tank and was just wondering what kind of options I would have for filters and stuff. Obviously I will probably do a sump of some type and might build my own skimmer or something. Dont really know much about lighting but would like some lighting to bring out the beauty of my fish. I wont start working on the tank until probably after the new year but would like to start getting things for it right now. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
E

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I wouldn't build a skimmer unless you knew what you were doing. Thats all the filtration you need. I'd go with an AMS skimmer or a large Euro-reef but make sure you get one thats rated for more than your tanks capacity, this way you can stock more in a FO or if you want to go with a reef tank your water quality will be easier to control.

Congradulations on the new tank!

For lighting, metal halides are the brightest, t-5's are said to be a very close second. For a reef tank I'd go with either of the ones above or both. If your just doing a FO tank you could use normal florecnt lights, even get shop lights from home depot thats what some stores do.

Neil.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store