Herpitology Q

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I know this is a fish forum, but figured there'd probably be some cross over and don't want to go through trouble of regestering at another forum.

I recently bought a used tank to house some hatchling bearded dragons that I have bred. It was used for small mamals and contained cedar chips. I know cedar is toxic to reptiles, but not sure how toxic, or in what context. I have cleaned the tank with bleach, but can still smell a faint cedar odor. What will remove this? Do you think its safe even if it still smells a little like cedar?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
More than likely it is fine. I imagine the silicone absorbed the odor, or the plastic pieces around the rim of the tank. As long as you cleaned the tank thoroughly, you should be okay. Congrats on the breeding by the way. What kinds of beardeds paired up? I mean, any special color phases? Enjoy your babies while you can!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Well, they were'nt trademarked (sandfire) or anything, but the female is a brilliant yellow(very impressive) and the male kind of a pastel red. Babies are showing good color already. I've already sold all but three (they were eating me out of house and home man). The tank, remaining dragons, and assorted paraphanalia are for friends of mine getting married. They've been asking for babies ever since I got my pair. I figured the dragons and complete setup should make a good gift.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
mooman said:
Well, they were'nt trademarked (sandfire) or anything, but the female is a brilliant yellow(very impressive) and the male kind of a pastel red. Babies are showing good color already. I've already sold all but three (they were eating me out of house and home man). The tank, remaining dragons, and assorted paraphanalia are for friends of mine getting married. They've been asking for babies ever since I got my pair. I figured the dragons and complete setup should make a good gift.
That would make a wonderful gift indeed. My wife and I recently lost our berber skink after she had been with us a long, long time. My wife got her before we were married when I used to work in a reptile store. I've gone back an forth on the idea of bearded dragons. They are wonderful liazrds, but not as laid back and easy to physically handle as the skink we owned. Still, I'd take a free set any old day!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
IMO they are are pretty close to being the perfect pet lizard. Big enough to be impressive looking, but not so big that average hobbiests can't care for them. They are always front and center (as long as that is where the heat lamp is) :p: , and at the risk of anthropomophizing, seem genuinly curious about things going on around them. I recently set up a tank next to the lizard cage, and have caught them checking out the A. honglsoi several times (probably wondering if thier edible).

I agree the male's claws can get a little sharp, but I've used both lizards in presentations to literally 100s of campers and students with no problems.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
My herpetologist co-worker said that the odor might throw them off food for a day or two, but otherwise not cause them any problem. His words: 'I don't think there will be any toxicity issues, but the smell may throw them off their food for a bit. I doubt it will though. They are cricket addicts.'

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store