clownfish very odd behavior please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

derick

AC Members
Sep 15, 2005
clownfish trouble??

i just bought a pair of adult? percula clowns...( captive bred... petco)problem is these guys do not go to the bottom of the tank ever!! not even near the 50 pounds of live rock..... i have had them for 3 weeks..they eat very well i have a condy anemone and a plate coral they dont even look at them, i know the clowns wont host either...but i never had clowns swim only at the top of the tank they sleep behind the power filter...by the way its a 38 gallon tank.. all water parrameters are excellent and they are the only fish in the tank besides the plate coral cody anemone and cleaner shrimp...any ideas guys?? or do i have a pair of odd clowns??? ciao derick

Last edited:

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Good thing they are staying at the top, that condy can kill them. You need to get rid of that and replace with a bubbletip if you must have an anemone. You really don't need one actually.

derick

AC Members
Sep 15, 2005
incorrect, my condy has been in the tank for 9 months..never harmed a fish or cleaner shrimp that lives under the same rock .

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Will not argue with you my friend, but YOU are incorrect.
Condy's can kill your tank raised clowns.
Research this on Fenner's site, there are references there to this problem,
and I have known about it for years. Good luck.

little fish

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2005
i had a condylactus in my tank for 4 years that hosted a pair of tank raised percula. to wouldn't trust its not to eat a small weak or sick fish but after 4 years and no fish loss i certainly don't worry much.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Glad to hear your success, I know others who have have done this maybe it depends on the clowns, I know a fellow on another forum who has lost several tomato clowns, he just removed his condys. Again, the references on Fenner's site discourage this practice.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I wouldn't trust a Condy with any fish that didn't evolve with it. I'd worry about my other sesil or slow moving inverts to. I had a Condy that ended up being worth about $200 in the stuff it ate or stung to death. They are really neat and do very well in tanks but, as with most anems you have to more or less design your live stock selection around them. FL boy is 100% correct and you've just been lucky so far.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i have had my clowns for over a year and they do the same thing, but they took the capped bulkhead at the top of the tank for their home. the only time they come down is to eat. they stay in the bulkhead during the day, occasionally coming out to try to scare the tangs away. but they sleep in the top corner of the tank.

itstheantitang

A man, struck down in his prime...
Oct 1, 2005
I may be wrong, but maybe you do not have enough oxygen in the water, and the clowns are staying towards the top where there is more oxygen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store