hermit crab eating fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

willy:-)

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
lebanon Mo
Okay I have no experiance in saltwater but I am asking this on behalf of a non internet using friend. He has a saltwater reef tank and in it a few clown fish a tang and some various other fish. He also has a hermit crab. All of us who visit his aquarium are suspicus of his hermit crab(not sure which kind) eating his fish. Is it possible that his crab attaks and eats his fish? Thanks:)

Sorry just noticed wrong place to post. Can anybody here help me though?

Last edited:

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Absolutely. IMO, many "mysterious" fish disappearances can be attributed to hermits; they are going to grab/eat whatever they can hold onto, including sleeping fish. In most fish systems, only the smallest hermits should be used, and a weak or struggling fish will fall prey to even those.

willy:-)

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
lebanon Mo
Thanks, his fish do seem to dissappear alot "mysteriously" lol- all of his friends and I have told him his crab is the cerial killer but he really likes that evil(just bein himself though:)) crab!

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
A hermit would eat a dying/dead fish but in no means would it be able to hold down a fish. If your friend is loosing fish I doubt its becuase of "a" hermit crab.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Unless it's a pretty big hermit . Some of the species get pretty big and have huge attitudes. The only ones I really feel comfortable with are some of the smaller blue legs and the red reef crabs. A few more details would help out .
tell your friend that we wish them luck
Chris

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I do guys! I'll empty out my box!

colesy

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
My red legged hermit crab ate 2 of my fish while they were sleeping before I realized what was going on. I took him back the store. The red legged hermits are just too big for my tank, so I will end up getting the small blue legged hermits, they dont get big enough to eat any of my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store