Brown algae problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kobeSumo

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
Hi. I have an extreme brown algae problem in my 55-gallon marine tank. I use tap water, which I think is the problem! Any suggestions?

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
Turbo snails make short work of alot of algae. However you may wish to address the source of you problem which i would sugest would be you tap water, you could use a filter known as a RO (reverse osmosis) filter to treat your tapwater prior to putting it into the tank

how long has it been up and running

kobeSumo

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
It's been running for about 5 months. I have one royal Gramma, 1 Percula Clown, and 2 scissortail dartfish.

kobeSumo

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
I've heard about R/O units, but I am at loss to figure out what size and brand I should get.

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
RO/DI is the best way, yes, but not the only way and they are very expensive! I use something called PRIME which is a liquified agent which takes out all the silicates ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc... out of the water. This stuff is cheap, and works great, and 1 drop cures 2 liters. Get some of this and if it dosn't work then something else is probebly needed. GOOD LUCK

colesy

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
I had the same problem in my tank. It was showing up on some live rock, and back wall, but mainly on the substrate. The best thing that worked for me was to limit the amount of time the light is on in the tank. I only turn it on for about 5 hours a day at the most. I used to leave it on during the day while I was at work, but no one sees it anyway. Also over feeding could cause it, and direct sun light too.

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
kobeSumo said:
I've heard about R/O units, but I am at loss to figure out what size and brand I should get.
Do a search on ebay for ro/di. You will find some good units there at great prices. I was using tap water for about the past 9 months or so and I just recently bought a ro/di unit off of ebay. It should be here within the next 3 days. I have heard that other than a skimmer and live rock these are one of the best investments you can have. I paid $130 for a 6 stage, 125g per day ro/di unit with extra filters. That includes the shipping and handling too. You might want to check one of these out.

Bradd

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
there is an easier solution, which can be more hnady aswell. Get rain water tank, or no someone who has one. i have i person i know who has one, i take 2 buckets every 2 weeks, for top ups and use natural sea water for water changes. all you have to do is aeriate it for 1 hour before you use it and it removes the chlorine is there is any. i have had no problems with this and is also cheaper.

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
That is an option, but depending on where you live there could be chemicals in the rain water from an industrial area or chemical plants nearby. I would feel much better using a ro/di unit or getting the ro/di water from a grocery store.

Bradd

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store