Bugs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Betta-Luvn

Bettaaa Lovee
Aug 28, 2005
Alberta
My mom and i recently had her male betta die, and it was living in a 1 gallon planet tank w/ an air bubbler.
I was just about to clean it out when i realized that there are thousands of little bugs and worms swimming aroung and stuck to the sides. I was wondering what they are?
and will they harm my fish if i were to have another betta in it?
please answer.! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

wow thats creapy ,all I can suggest is getting a 10g & useing the 1 gallon as a live fishfood tank,i'm guessing a male guppy migt eat em in time & am curious why the beta didn't eat them.or what about a couple cherry shrimp. in another thread I heard someone saying theirs ate snails so worms & bugs should be an easy treat to eat.If you got a new fish & didn't feed it maybe he would chow down on his neighbors.think I got my 10 for 15 bucks new & if you do ask to see a U-tube & if they can show you how they work :) ,this way you can have more fishload to try a loach or something .loaches are always searching the bottom for tiny critters.ghost shrimp are pretty ravenous too .I see them grag the largest pieces of fresh food & run with them from fish as if to say MINE! it's rediculous to see a small shrimp eating a piece of worm half his size.I'm sorry I don't keep betta's so don't know what you can have with them.a puffer on loan or cleanup rew would do. If you do get the 10 you may find you like loaches better than bettas but this is hard to tell until you look into them deeper

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Are they tiny whitish wormy looking things that crawl across the glass ?? If so they are harmless and would be a good treat for any fish...though wondering why your betta didn't eat them.

Also, how often were you cleaning his little bowl ? You can keep betta in one gallon bowls but you have to be strict about keeping up on maintenance. Doing a 50% water change twice a week isn't too much for a tank that size. Planaria feed on the dietrus that settles in your tank..as far as I know..and if you have alot of "dirts" in your tank you can get lots of those little worms. Most tanks have them in there, but you almost never see them unless they become overproductive from having lots to feed on.

If you want to get another betta for your tank I would do a super cleaning on it first...and then be sure to clean it twice a week from then on. If you don't want to have to clean the bowl so much, you might consider at least a 5 gallon. You could put a filter and heater in a tank that size and do a 20% water change once a week. You could also add a tank buddy for your betta.....a few shrimp..(though the betta tend to eat these after a bit..lol)....or....a couple of ADFs (african DWARF frogs...NOT the CLAWED frogs!)

The frogs can be hard to feed with a fish in there, but if you get some sinking pellets and distract the betta while you drop them in (The same location every time..the frogs will learn to know where to look for it) Have a plant or something in that corner so that the pellets sinks out of site of the fish....the frogs will find them. Just check that spot for any leftovers the frogs might miss..so you can syphon it out so it doesn't foul the tank.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
telecubby said:
...if you do ask to see a U-tube & if they can show you how they work :) ,this way you can have more fishload to try a loach or something .

telecubby, what's a U-tube and how does it allow you to increase your bioload?

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
They are planaria, harmless, but an abundance of them is a sign of too much waste in the water. A one gal should be changed 100 percent atleast twice week. The gravel should also be rinsed as it traps alot of waste-hence the planaria...The bubbler is not necessary and possibly dangerous in such a small tank...A heater is crucial though...They must be kept in the mid 70s...You can safely heat a 2.5 gal tank with a 25 watt heater.
Not sure where you are in Alberta, but there is a Big Als in Calgary and Edmonton..You can pick up a plain jane 2.5 gal with a glass lid for 8 bucks.

Betta-Luvn

Bettaaa Lovee
Aug 28, 2005
Alberta
TheMightyQueenPixie said:
Not sure where you are in Alberta, but there is a Big Als in Calgary and Edmonton..You can pick up a plain jane 2.5 gal with a glass lid for 8 bucks.
Yeah i might do that. im in calgary.
Are they tiny whitish wormy looking things that crawl across the glass ?? If so they are harmless and would be a good treat for any fish...though wondering why your betta didn't eat them.
I dont know my betta is a really picky eater. or he was...
So you think i could just get a couple of ADF's? Or some Cherry Shrimp??

Betta-Luvn

Bettaaa Lovee
Aug 28, 2005
Alberta
What about mollies? would they eat them?
And someone mentioned a puffer??? what kind of puffer? a figure 8???

Betta-Luvn

Bettaaa Lovee
Aug 28, 2005
Alberta
hello?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store