Chinese Algae Eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ntt

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
tampa
are Chinese Algae Eaters poop factorys like plecos

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
I'm not sure if they are as messy as plecs but they are a fish to be generally avoided. Their algea eating capability diminishes quickly as they mature, while at the same time their aggression increases rapidly. IMHO a nasty fish useless for the average aquarium.

Bosemani Fan

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Tennessee
Ok, No they are not great Algae eaters, Thats only one drawback though. as they mature they will become aggresive with its ownkind and anything else in the tank. If you have any slow moving fish, a CAE has been known to Latch on to they body of other fish, and basically suck the life out. They also stop eating algae when they mature. If you are wanting a similar type fish, I would recomend a Siamese Algae eater (SAE), They are Herbivorous and will eat algae through out thier life, and they are they only ones that will eat the dreaded Hair Algae.

ntt

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
tampa
thanx for the info instead i bought a clown loach to main tain the extra food and stuff

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
CAE's are cool looking fish IMO when they're adults, especially the gold ones. The only down sides is that their pretty much going to neeed a species only tank.

Did you get a clown loach just to "maintain the extra food and stuff"?

Not a good idea.......they need specific care just like any other fish you decide to put in your tank....I wouldn't consider it a good "clean-up" fish. They are very active fish that need a good ammount of food every day....not just what's left over from the other fish.

Do some research on the clown loaches requirements (especially tank size and diet) and find out if it's the right fish for you.

HTH

ntt

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
tampa
ok thanx ill feed it more than

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
dont get a CAE theyre mean and worthless. i had one in my tank and ended up getting rid of it ebcause he would leech onto the other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store