Mexican turbos - holy cow!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I was at the LFS tonight and saw some astraea-sized Mexican turbos for sale. The price was right, I thought I might pick one up as insurance against any future HA outbreaks. Then I passed another tank marked 'large Mexican turbos' - these guys were about twice as large as those in the first tank, maybe 1.25" or so. Hmm... maybe they get a bit big for my 30g. Then I passed a tank of 'Extra large Mexican turbos' and couldn't believe my eyes! These guys were nearly the size of my fist, it was astonishing.
I've got two snails in my tank that I thought might be Mexican turbos (they came in with an Astraea shipment, no one at work knew exactly what they were but they're great algae eaters so I brought them home). Now I know they're not the same type of snail, but one is getting quite large; if my guys get anywhere close to that big, I'll need to find a new home for them! Sorry for the pointless post, I just can't believe how huge these snails get - finally I understand why people caution others that MTs will knock frags over :idea:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Well they will knock stuff over but, unless you have a pretty small tank they should do ok. Most of the inverts don't produce as much metabolic waste as the fish do and if you run out of algae for them to eat you can alway supliment their diets with nori etc. hth
chris
p.s. about the size of a large fist is pretty much the max. Just keep in mind they usually don't live that long after reaching that size. " I know you don't want anymore but, someone else reading may.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store