Is Saltpetre Potassium Nitrate safe for the aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lukara

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I was looking into ferts for my planted aquarium. I'm looking to dose some N P and K but I hesitate to purchase the off-the-shelf fert because I don't like the idea of dosing everything all together. I was at the pharmacy today and purchased some fleet enema for Phosphate, and I saw some Saltpetre Potassium Nitrate in powder form and was wondering if anybody has ever used this before in their aquariums? :confused:

Thanks.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Yes, it's been used.

Most people here (me included) buy their Potassium Nitrate (KN03) as stump remover. If you do a search in this forum for "stump remover" you will find several results. Sure sounds nicer adding "saltpetre" than "stump remover".

But this is added to bring your nitrates up, not for the potassium source, even though it's there. For potassium you're better using Potassium Chloride. It's what's in water softener tablets. I've heard wetmanNY mention it's also in dietary salt stuff called "Nu-Salt" but I haven't been able to find that here.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store