Ich question, dave mabey?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Can ich become dormant when dry?
I am setting up my 55 today, I had put the biowheel from my pen.330 in my 10 gallon in the hopes to speed up my cycle. I had a run in with ich in the 10 gallon and now am wondering, if I let it dry out completely, will it be ich free? Or should I leave it in the 10 till I am finnished with the treatment?

ddayton21

I'm bored
Oct 25, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
ich is completely killed if dried out...no worrys about it being dormant.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
ddayton21 is correct, it dies dry and there is no dormant stage.

additionally if you put the wheel on the 55 and don't yet have fish, it will only take a few days to kill off any ich that could be there. The long part of the life cycle is on the fish, one ich falls off it will hatch in 3-4 days and when it hatches it must find a host within a few hours or it dies. Depending on your intentions, and current status with the 55, you have several options. the thing is if your intention was to jump start the cycle on the 55 with that bio-wheel, drying it out will defeat you. While applying the bio-wheel and fishlessly cycling the tank will defeat ich.
dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store