Ammonia, Hard to Find -- Poss Solution?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Funny thing to me that we can't find ammonia in LFS or in on line FS. Has anyone ever "mail bombed" some of these places requesting that they carry it?

I did talk to someone at Drs. Foster & Smith in their chat and after they tried to sell me Cycle (no thanks) it struck me that if they had enough requests, they might start carrying it on line. Possibly Big Al's too. Petsmart. Petco. All those places might carry it if there's a big enough demand.

I don't think they even grasp what it is for, to be honest.

Thoughts?

Roan

Nov 15, 2004
every walmart I have been to has pure ammonia...thats where I usually go. If enough people requested it, I guess they would consider it...but walmart has it for so cheap that its almost a loss for them to stock it, especially after S&H costs...

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Could someone please post full brand names and label descriptions of ammonia they have purchased for fishless cycling? I'm trying to see if I can source them via the web. I've not been able to find any in the DC area.

Thanks
Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
sublime1184 said:
every walmart I have been to has pure ammonia...thats where I usually go. If enough people requested it, I guess they would consider it...but walmart has it for so cheap that its almost a loss for them to stock it, especially after S&H costs...
I agree, however I think part of the problem is that people are not sure they have the right kind of ammonia when they go out to buy it. It's such a BIG thing to put the wrong ammonia in the tank. Now, if the LFS and the online guys stock it -- the RIGHT stuff -- then people will feel more confident that it's the right and true.

ATM, doing a fishy cycle is almost easier because a fish is a fish, but ammonia isn't always ammonia.

I think I'm saying what I mean. I think ;)

I picked up a few bottles at Sears Hardware and Giant and I wasn't sure if it was foaming or not. Rather safe than sorry.

Roan

ksimmo1

AC Members
Aug 28, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Try Shoppers Food Warehouse, they're all over Northern Virginia and DC. I manage one in Baltimore and we carry pure ammonia, I even checked my shelves after hearing everyone say it is so hard to get.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
ksimmo1 said:
Try Shoppers Food Warehouse, they're all over Northern Virginia and DC. I manage one in Baltimore and we carry pure ammonia, I even checked my shelves after hearing everyone say it is so hard to get.
Can you give me the exact brand name and what's on the label? A picture of the bottle would be awesome and would really help!

Thanks!
Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
ParadoxLiz said:
I haven't used it yet, but I found what seems to be pure ammonia - no other ingredients listed, no foam when shaken...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...ickid=lefttnav_catlinks_txt&parentPage=family

(I bought it locally and it's exactly what you see on the page.)

FWIW,

Liz
Liz, you rock!
That's the right kind of info. Pictures of the right stuff so people know what they are looking for. Excellent! Is there a manufacturer listed on the side -- ie: who made it for Ace Hardware?

Thanks!
Roan

Penfan66

Posticus Rareus
Sep 22, 2005
Sylvania, Ohio
Ok Here are some brand names culled from the web:

Albertsons "Pure Ammonia"

Kroger "Clear Ammonia"

Ace Hardware "Janitor Strength"

In Canada - Home Hardware Stores sell a private label ammonia

Hope this helps!! :)