New guy! Not so new!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Hi everyone!

I am an huge SW fanatic and am about to rebuild what was once an awesome 135g tank. I had a bad moment about 2 years ago when someone told me a certain medicine was reef safe! yes, a total loss, a broke heart and someone who gave up =( I let the tank go fully since it was 3/4 gone already, cutting of my nose to spite my face.

Well, I learned something, trust in your knowledge and heart and do the MOST research you can before trusting anyone on medications, just don't do it in a reef tank! (for the life of me I cannot remember what I put in my tank, just my clowns, tangs, inverts, and other marine life dying off) My tank was almost full and it was perfectly aged. /sadface

ANYHOW! I recently went to Jamaica and have my heart rekindled, my reef tank will be up again! And this is also why I am here. Gotta love seeing it first hand *mind wanders off back into that Jamaican reef*

So I will keep you all informed and be reading through your posts, adding a few of my own, until I am up and back in action! Then come my pics, I will try to let you guys know what and how I am doing and grab usefull info and hopefully add some =)

SOOOooo.... My reef setup includes, 3 175 watt MH and two large actinics, a 40 gallon side tank for my caulerpas and algaes with a 3 foot power compact (a scrubber if you will for that ultimate clean) and a 30g sump with skimmer. Man it was beautiful, feeding Artemia at night and watching the corals and my white striped cleaner shrimps (Lysmata Amboinensis) go crazy!. . or watching my shrimp try to reproduce, my clowns (Yellow Striped Maroons) pair up, my SPS (Acropora valida, Acropora Florida etc..) growing and my water quality never changing from a perfect balance.

Tomorrow I will be breaking it fully down and cleaning the tanks and my 55g barrel for my RO water and prepairing to do battle! I will keep you guys informed as I go. . . /sigh my wallet is about to become more shallow than my tank :(

New live rock and new substrate with a dash of live sand to get it going is my next step. The pet shop man is hearing *CHA-CHING*

Good reef keeping guys, see ya soon. :clap:

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
man, i feel sorry for what happened to you! Good on ya though for getting back on the horse'. good luck with everything, sounds like a great set up.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
what a sad story... sorry the pain was so serious, Mahlhavoc..... BUT welcome back to the reefing world :D and best of luck with this new reeftank. I can't wait to see pics of it :)

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Welcome back and hang on to your wallet! Try joining a local reefers club if you can find one lots of time you can get frags off other members and used equipment. Good idea on getting a new set up the old one would probablyhave never supported inverts with copper bassed blood, crustaceans, corals, softies etc. It gets into the seams of the tank and even if you replaice all the live rock and substraight it may not work.
Welcome back!

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Nope wasn't copper based, I remember that, think it was actually like a pepper based deal. . :huh:

Anyhow today was my day off, prolly can tell from me posting a few times, but got the tank broke down and substrate in it, pumps, my 30g sump, 30g scrubber, lights, 55g mixing barrel. . everything is clean and am currently making my RO water in the barrel and contacted my local pet shop owner (Lane with brothers pets in KC) and informed him I will be helping him out with that house remodle hes been saving for :eek: funny thing is he actually said, "Great, I have missed your money!" rofl

EDIT:
Oh, anyhow i am using the plenum system, something that has worked well for me with my sand bed.

My Substrate:
Egg crate with a strip of egg crate soldered as feet to give it a one inch lift from the bottom and ability to hold rock etc., a screen, 1.5 inches of thicker substrate, (aragonite sand) another sreen, and finnaly a smaller 2-3 inches of substrate.

I have found it does keep clcium, strontium, and magnesium at desired levels even with clams and SPS corals.

More to come!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store