live rock ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hromero27

Registered Member
Nov 1, 2005
I just converted my 75g fw tank to sw. I bought 20lbs of live rock, I added about 60 pounds of rock that was in a cichlid tank but has been in a bucket for about 2 months. Will the rocks become live or not?

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Anything will become live after an amount of time, even a piece of glass if you have introduced live rock or substrate into the aquaria. The live rock is only alive because of the animals, algae, and bacteria that reside in and on it, the "Life" on the rock, introduced into the tank and it spreads and groes on everything if given the right perameters.

hromero27

Registered Member
Nov 1, 2005
so why is there a price difference in the type of live rock you buy. Ive heard and read that Fiji rock is top of the line. What makes it better?

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Some say Marshal island rock is the best rock. . it's defined by the aquariast, not by the poster or the pet shop owner or the guy down the street.

Fiji is a good live rock, depending on the rock itself that is, Marshal Island is also good, a little more porous of a rock that equates into more overall space for bacteria to live and it is lighter which means it takes less weight to fill your tank, both are usually a little different in looks and colors of algae on them, but it's you who defines if one is better than another.

Some like different live rock for different reasons, Fiji is usually less expensive than Marshal Island, yet usually has as much life on it as Marshal does.

This is basically the lesson, it's the individual rock that is important, one that has alot of life and you find pleasing to the eye and fits your reef building the best. they are all alive with plants and animals and bacteria, but they all come with different price tags. After all, you can't have what comes on live rock without first buying some for your tank and reoproducing what comes on it.

Reef Works

Registered Member
Nov 2, 2005
rock

i COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER, LIVE ROCK IS WHAT IT IS IN THE OWNERS EYE! make sure it is a functional piece for your tank, as it needs to fit somewhere, I see lots of people getting a huge rock that is covered in polyups, but than looks funny in the tank. be selective and dont add too much at one time that is not cured. could overload your system. you can do some cool stuff with tonga branch as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store