Clown fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tollhouse

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
i am doing some research on clown fish could you guys tell me as much posssible about them what they do, how big they get, and such how long they live like that.

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Clown Fish, the puppies of saltwater aquaria!

Lets see, where does one start. .

Amphiprion Percula or A. Ocellaris, our common clowns are very hardy fish once acclimated. Not very agressive and respond to human interaction, doglike if you will, running to the glass when they see you coming etc.

These fish can contract Clownfish Disease when first purchased (immidiatly after import) and mortality can reach 90% if not immidiatly looked after. White/grey film surrounds the fish and it's inherent in the fish itself, loss of appetite and equalibrium come with this and it manifests quickly on the fish, almost resembeling Oodinium but way more progressive.

There are now a few treatments out the that can be readily researched for a quarantine tank and one should have it available when stocking new clowns because or the progressive nature, it took one of mine out faster than I could react. It is also helpfull to have a host enemone for it to bathe in when buying one.

Back to other clowns I have first hand with, A. Frenatus or Tomato Clown, very agressive when paired with an anemone. I had one befiore I had an anemone and it actually started attacking me as I placed the new anemone in the tank, little sh*t this guy was. I couldn't hardly put my hand in the tank without a few splashes from this fish scaring me with nips and attacks. Very territorial once acclimated.

Premnas biaculeatus, Maroon clown. I had a pair and you can pair these together easily if you buy one twice the size of the other and put them into the tank at the same time. The larger being the boss and female. . almost like humans! (minus the larger part in most cases) Very good fish these were, not overly agressive and didn't move my rock as some have experienced, but they did have a host enemone also. Was neat watching the female feed the anemone and the male, heck she hardly let the male away from the host, nudgeing him back to it constantly.

These fish, maybe more people could chime in because I haven't owned them:

Amphiprion melanopus, Cinnamon Clown. From all recolections much the same as a Tomato Clown, semi agressive and territorial.

Amphiprion sandaracinos, Orange skunk clownfish. My understanding more along the lines of a percula as far as temperment.

Amphiprion sebae, Sebae clown. More agressive clownfish especially paired with a host or mate, refer to Tomato.

Amphiprion clarkii, Clarkii Clown. Tomato lines here also, little less agressive as far as I have seen.

These are your more common clowns available, with there being a few others like the saddleback etc.

These fish usually make for a wonderfull show specimen and one that can be bred with time and care and alot of knowledge. Good fish for even the beginner or fish only tank and they seem to all have a little different personality. Do some research and get those that would best fit your aquarium, your LFS should have any other info you might need on hand.

Good Luck!

Oh! Also, buy from tank raised, they are suually hardier fish and easy to come by, alot more resistant to diseases and aclimate quicker. Life span is of several years and remember that keeping host enemones require GREAT water peramteters and lighting and great knowledge, these fish do not need these hosts to survive, but it's more natural and they usually accept other corals as hosts.

Last edited:

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Mahlhavoc- :eek: That was a lot! Very informative. :cool:

As stated above, there are a lot of types of clownfish. Is there any one in particular you wanted to know about?

Feeding: Most clownfish will accept almost anything, including dry food.

Mahlhavoc pretty much covered everything else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store