Rhom Info.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phil_ip

AC Members
Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I've been into cichlids mostly but now I'm interested in keeping a rhom. Here are my questions. Can a rhom live for life in a 125g with a pleco. What type of filtration should I use, can they be fed a diet that consists mostly of pellets, and freeze dried foods, what type of temperature do I need, how long do they live, will they charge the galss like most cichlids do, and how fast do they grow. Sorry for all the questions, but if I get a rhom, I want it to be happy.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Got a different name? I am not sure what a rhom might be. I tried running it through planetcatfish (a very good resource) and came up with nothing.

Sorry--any additional info?

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
OrionGirl, that would be because a rhom is not a catfish. If he is talking about the piranhas that are reffered to as rhoms that is. They are not cichlids either. They are actually related to neon tetras of all fish. A good source of info for these and other large predatory fish would be http://www.predatoryfish.net/ . That is the extent of my help on these fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Okay--knew it sounded familiar, but was thrown off by it being in Catfish and Bottom Feeders.

Thanks!

aquascaper

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Toronto Canada
Visit site
That forum is a very good place for more information regarding the Serr. rhombeus.

I was in a phase of my aquarium life where i owned many of these fish from a small 2" to a larger 8+".

I really didnt like these fish because of their solitary nature. You cannot keep anything in the tank but the rhom. A pleco (large or small) would eventually be eaten if left with the rhom.

IF you do decide to get a rhom, just make sure you get one with personality, I have seen too many of them just sit in the corner doing nothing....that was THE reason why i got rid of my stock.
I have seen some that will swim at you trying to bite, but you would have to get the larger ones for that...the small ones are very very skittish and hide all day....which i think would be a waste in a 125gallon

My piranhas wouldnt eat pellets, only eat live fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store