is my tank overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boxerjo77

Registered Member
Oct 31, 2005
Hi, what do you guys think?
I have a 29g with 3 boesemans rainbows, 3 trifasciata rainbows, 2 irian red rainbows and 3 platies. I also have lots of plants and 3 snails to keep algae down. Everything looks really good and things are nice and steady!!
Of course, I kind of sort of want to get more fish but I have the feeling I'm good. Am I overstocked or what?

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
boxerjo77 said:
Hi, what do you guys think?
I have a 29g with 3 boesemans rainbows, 3 trifasciata rainbows, 2 irian red rainbows and 3 platies. I also have lots of plants and 3 snails to keep algae down. Everything looks really good and things are nice and steady!!
Of course, I kind of sort of want to get more fish but I have the feeling I'm good. Am I overstocked or what?
You not overstocked, but i wouldn't add anything else other then maybe some otto cats for algae or some shrimp.

The Bosemans get to around 3 inch, the trifasciata to around 4, and the Irian red also to around 4 inches. The platies stay small, around an inch to 1,5 inches.

Your just fine.

junglekatt

AC Members
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks guys!
I have 1 male and 2 female bosemanis. I got them about 5 months ago and now (male especially) is really starting to color up. I couldn't tell in the store the differences between the sexes. Acutally, in the store they all looked silver. I kind of want another male, but maybe I'll hold out.
One funny thing happened with my Irian Reds though. I recently planted a camomba and instantly the larger of the Reds (I think they are both males) started displaying and became bright, beautiful color. It was instant and definately related to the cabomba (i think).
I'm so glad I went with a rainbowfish tank. They are so fun to watch, so active and never boring!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store