A couple of newbie questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RobertA

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
Sorry to bother you guys with more newbie questions, but I seem to realy need help setting up my aquarium... :read:

1.- I'd like to know the best type of bottom feaders I should get for my 20gal tank.

2.- What type of real plants should I get for starting my aquarium? I've heard that Java Ferns are nice and easy to take care of.

3.- Are Angelfish very aggresive? Are Bettas easy to maintain?

4.- Which is the best type of fish I should buy to start the aquarium cycle?

5.- Is it ok to have seashells in the tank? I put six in already :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

RobertA

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
stingray4540 said:
1. cory cats
2. java ferns or anubius plants
3. ?
4. giant danios, about 3per 10 gallons, 6 in your case.
5. I wouldn't recomend it, it will raise the ph levels.
Will the seashells raise the ph by ALOT?

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I think angel fish would get way too big for a 20 gallon. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I do not think I would call a betta an easier to maintain than most fish...they still need the same thing all fish need-clean healthy water and healthy food. You would not want to put anything "nippy" in with a betta though. Their beautiful fins just beg other fish to torment them sometimes. I had the unfortunate experience of danios nipping a betta quite unfortunately to death.

I would suggest reading up on the "cycling" sticky. It really is MUCH easier to do a fishless cycle IMO/IME and then there will be no harm to the fish during the cycle. If you plan on cycling with fish...plan on doing large volume water changes daily and sometimes twice a day to keep your fish well and thriving.

Good luck to you. It is such a fun hobby and well worth it! :D

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Yeah, a lot. some fish can handle higher ph levels so you'll have to research whatever fish you plan on having, but I doubt many freshwater fish will like the ph levels your shells produce. you can get stuff to lower your ph, if you want to spend the money and constantly have to remember to put that stuff in. Have you considered just getting some driftwood and live plants? Or are you stuck on having shells? Also if you get ornamental real rocks be carefull most will also raise the ph, but not quite as much as the shells, I also heard that shells release something else into the water that is undisirable but I can't remember what that was anymore.

cattlegrid_79

AC Members
Mar 24, 2004
Brighton, England
www.altereagles.co.uk
For a bottom feeder you could try a bristlenose plec. One of the few plecs to not grow to the size of a house!!!

Anubias is great in low light. Amazon Sword plant also is quite a fast and easy grower althought you can get a bit of die off if you don't have sufficient lighting. But usually it grows ok.

RobertA

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
stingray4540 said:
Yeah, a lot. some fish can handle higher ph levels so you'll have to research whatever fish you plan on having, but I doubt many freshwater fish will like the ph levels your shells produce. you can get stuff to lower your ph, if you want to spend the money and constantly have to remember to put that stuff in. Have you considered just getting some driftwood and live plants? Or are you stuck on having shells? Also if you get ornamental real rocks be carefull most will also raise the ph, but not quite as much as the shells, I also heard that shells release something else into the water that is undisirable but I can't remember what that was anymore.
Hmmm... Okay, I took out the few seashells I had in my tank. I looked around and decided that it would be best for me to get an Anubia and a Java Moss plant. Fish wise, I'm plannning on getting around 8 Guppies, maybe a Swordtail and I havn't realy found any good bottom feaders yet... Do you or anyone else have some suggestions?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
stingray4540 said:
I like the spotted cory cats and they are pretty good scavengers, they also like to swim around and scavenge together so get at least 2. Other than that I'm not familier whith any other bottom feeders.
They're schooling fish, not grouping fish. You'll need a min of 3 but 6 is best.

Roan

RobertA

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
stingray4540 said:
I like the spotted cory cats and they are pretty good scavengers, they also like to swim around and scavenge together so get at least 2. Other than that I'm not familier whith any other bottom feeders.
Okay then, I'll be sure to get some! :) But do they get very BIG? I've heard that many catfish do.

Any other nice fish I can get that are nice to keep and to look at?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store