Reptile Wood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Im a Pisces

Thats Me
Oct 10, 2005
I just bought what I thought was fake wood from petsmart. It looked perfect because it had a bunch of hiding spots and what not. Anyway I realized it was built for reptile terraniums. On the tag it says it contains antimicorbials benificial to reptiles. If placed in an aquarium will this prevent the cycling process??

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I have found that even some of the reptile decorations that look just like fish tank decor. are not safe for tanks. I have only found a couple of plastic caves in the reptile aisle that were safe for tanks. At least you found out before you used it!!!

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
It's important to get stuff to aquariums. Even pretty beach-rocks (like from the ocean or a pond or whatnot), though in an aquatic setting, could be harmful to the balance in your tank. It sucks:(I live a mile from the shore and I have a lot of reptile things that would be cool in my fish tank too. oh well.

beetle3211

eelie eelie eelie
Oct 29, 2005
what if the tank is already cycled.. could putting reptile driftwood in an already cycled tank mess up the tank and hurt the fish? there were no tags or anything on the driftwood when we bought it but it was in the turtle section

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
cycled tank or not, some of the stuff that is not specifically for fish have additives that are not safe for fish. IMO, if it is not specifically for a fish tank I would not risk using it!

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
I too dont think it is a good idea to put decor treated for reptiles in aquatic settings.

However, I do not know how damaging it is. I have a plyable branch that was treated for reptiles (didn know because no tag - grr). It is in part way in the aquarium part of my vivarium and to this day - no problems (been about 1 year). I think I was just LUCKY and believe it is not a good idea to do so.

Good Luck

Aries

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store