Anybody know about coppersafe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
I have a tetra that has ick so I got some coppersafe to treat it, but I'm not sure about the directions. It sounds like I'm supposed to just put in once and add to any water changes but it's supposed to treat the water for like a month. Does it just stay in the water that long and I don't need to add any more after the initial amount? I took out my carbon filter media as per instructions. I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right, I don't want to lose any fish. Thanks in advance!

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Here, read the Ich Article.

No need to use copper to treat something as easy to eradicate like ich. It's overkill, like using a harpoon to catch a bluegill. Copper is very potent stuff and should not be used without serious consideration to the long term effects.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
I guess your probably right, but I just mimicked what someone told me worked for them. Since I already have the stuff in my tank though, I'm probably going to stick with it until the ick is gone and then do lots of big water changes and put in fresh carbon to try to get rid of the stuff. I hope it works, I just can't stand to see one of my fish sick with the possibility of passing it on.

jimangie1973

AC Members
Oct 29, 2005
Melbourne, Florida
reiverix said:
Here, read the Ich Article.

No need to use copper to treat something as easy to eradicate like ich. It's overkill, like using a harpoon to catch a bluegill. Copper is very potent stuff and should not be used without serious consideration to the long term effects.
Yes copper is very potent. If you have very low KH water, it may even be more potent/deadly. I know this is true for regular copper sulphate, but I'm not absolutely sure about chelated copper sulphate (Coppersafe).

All I know is I tried it once and it killed all 4 of my ich ridden clown loaches within 48 hrs. Never again.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Yes copper is very potent. If you have very low KH water, it may even be more potent/deadly. I know this is true for regular copper sulphate, but I'm not absolutely sure about chelated copper sulphate (Coppersafe).
The probelm with the cheleated material is that it doesn't stay that way long. So essentially the cheleated copper will break down and then has all the problems, concerns and effects of other copper products. It's called coppersafe, it just isn't.

O.K. Now to the crux of the matter, copper is already in you system. My personal reccomendation would be to get it out of there ASAP to prevent the garaunteed breakdown of the cheleated form and cause you trouble. However that was not your question either. so:

Copper will remain indefinately and will kill ich, snails, shrimp,crayfish, and eventually reptiles amphibians or fish as long as it is there. I am not familiar with the exact directions on coppersafe, but generally any time a water change is done it is assumed that we removed the same percentage of meds, and should dose accordingly. Copper on the other hand tends to stay in a system no matter what and for that reason I would not add any at water change times (Someone may correct me if this is bad advice). You have now found the primary downside to using coppersafe. How much did you remove with your water change and how much should you add back in. It is a mystery that is hard to answer without a lab grade copper test, and one that has lead to many a dead fish over the years.
In the most sincere way, I wish you luck with this product. Pay attention to your Kh level as mentioned and consider the situation fully.
Dave

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
I use Coppersafe Only on situations i could not remediate with Salt and temps above 80 F. I have it now in a tank with loaches and have had it in there a week. I do not plan to ever put shrimp or amphibians in this particular tank. I have noticed residual effects in the past when I have used it that last about 6 months ie plants not growing etc. So use with caution!

I have pretty high Gh too. It is 10 and it is very stable. I accidentally let my temp fall alot in this aqaurium and guess what?!? ICH!! Everywhere! Also, you may want to treat with a seconday antbiotic too. I notice after ich, sometimes my fish get infections. Keep an eye on the water parameters and do a water change if you notice they are off....

I have used Rid Ich in the past with great success, but eventually ich will be immune to it...

buddha_red

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
Pasadena Texas 77504
KH and GH measure the hardness of your water. Its a add on test that you can get at any fish place.

itstheantitang

A man, struck down in his prime...
Oct 1, 2005
just use salt to cure it. 1 tsp for every 5 gallons.

Copper will never come out of the tank. It will stay in the silicone seals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store