Bah DAH, Bah DAH. . . Nope, Not Jaws -- Killer Ghost Shrimp!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I am not kidding!

I had just put three new corycats in my tank to complete the school. I was sitting on a chair watching to see how the old school would react, when out of no where one of my gravid female 2" ghost shrimps ATTACKED a new corycat. She went right for its eyes! He got away and swam to the back of the tank where the current is stronger.

GAH!

I lost a corycat recently and found it DOA and being eaten by one of the shrimp. Its eyes were gone and I figured they were eaten AFTER it died -- blargh, I think I'm gonna be sick -- but now I'm not so sure. I thought he died from the cycling problems. . . ugh, dunno!

I also think I know what happened to all my neon tetras, now. Hrmp!

Anyone else have this happen???

Also, corries and loaches? Specifically Julii and Clown, are they bottom competitors or will they get along?

Roan

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Are you sure you have ghost shrimp? There are a number of species of shrimps that are sold as feeders, and I've seen them all called ghosts. Some can be ferocious and highly piscivorous.

Cories and clowns will pretty well ignore each other. Make sure everyone can get to the food, but otherwise, should be fine.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
OrionGirl said:
Are you sure you have ghost shrimp? There are a number of species of shrimps that are sold as feeders, and I've seen them all called ghosts. Some can be ferocious and highly piscivorous.
Yep, pretty sure. I bought them from LiveAquaria.com as ghost shrimp and when I noticed the females were carrying eggs that were not the same color as was noted on the LiveAquaria web site, I checked them out at PetShrimp.com

The description there fits these to a "T". About 2", green eggs (and ham! :joke: ). If I get a chance I'll post a pic. Possible they get aggressive when they are preggers? I know *I* was in a snit for 9 months :) I dropped in a few algae wafers for them to eat. With carrying eggs they might just be extra hungry. Either way, all three females pounced on the wafers and had them gone in 15 mins. I DO make sure everyone has food. I think these girls need some extra now, though.

Cories and clowns will pretty well ignore each other. Make sure everyone can get to the food, but otherwise, should be fine.
Excellent! They're only 1½" inches right now and I'm going to put them in the 36 gal. I'll have my 80+ gal in April and I've got them slotted as the first inhabitants.

Thanks again!
Roan

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I've seen ghost shrimp chase fish off. Although it can look like an attack, no one seems to be hurt. I've never heard of an aggressive ghost shrimp though.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
tomm10 said:
I've seen ghost shrimp chase fish off. Although it can look like an attack, no one seems to be hurt. I've never heard of an aggressive ghost shrimp though.
Nor I! But you had to see this. The corycat was at the bottom, probably scared witless, and the shrimp started to walk up its face. Corycat didnt move. Then the shrimp sorta hunkered down, like he was a wafer or something, right on its eye. One second went by then the corycat took off towards the driftwood, but the shrimp stayed there and didn't fall off right away. I lost sight of them at that point. I checked all the corycats later (can't tell one Julii from the other for the most part) and all looked okay.

Just. scary. even. if. not. a. real. attack.

Brrrrrrrrrr
Roan

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
I had this same thing happen just a couple months ago... got them at a local pet store. attributed at least 2 deaths, one being a red-finned black shark, and when i saw one attack my fiance's Betta (litterally hanging his fin) i decided it was time to nuke them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store