In deep water.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Ok, my boyfriends mother just moved into a new house and in the basement there was a fish tank. We checked it out and it's a 150 gallon tank!!!!!. There's everything with it eccept filter and powerheads. she is giving it to us for FREE!!!!! The tank is in eccelent condition, the seal doesn't apear to be drying or cracked AT ALL.
Now I get to let my imagination go crazy!!!
I need some help with what to do for filtration that's both easy to set up/maintain, and as easy as possible on the wallet. I already plan on upgrading the lighting, since it only has 2 48" florescents. I could easily fit the 3 I have on my tank on top as well. And maybe in the future upgrading to decent enough lighting for corals, enemies, etc.
What should I have for flowrate/powerheads/skimmer/etc.
Plus anyone know any good drugs I can give to my man to convince him not to make me sell it? :devil:

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Lucky!!!

For filtration you could use an Aquaclear. For the skimmer you could use a BakPak, Remora, etc.

For the drugs, I like arsenic. Its cheap, and it shuts them up for good. But, there are plenty of good "medicines" available, its sort of a matter of personal preference. Would you like me to name more?

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
His biggest issue is the amount of $$ it's going to suck up putting it all together.
He wasn't too thrilled with how much it took for the 55 setting it up and everything. Though I am planning on switching as much over as possible. I'm thinking I'll use the powerheads I got along with a few more GOOD ones to get the circulation up. my bigges issue is going to be the filter. Live rock I can keep adding some here and there I think until i get enough. Not to mention I need a good stand. He definitely has the skill to build one. What size/name/flowrate filtration would be best for a tank that size?

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
In my 135g I use an Iwaki wmd40rlxt ( High flow 22.4 gpm 15.4 max head) for return with an overflow and an Iwaki wmd20rlxt ( High flow 13.7 gpm 8.2 max head) powering my skimmer along with an 1140 powerhead for a harder flow zone ( for the coral that demand high flow) and to take air out of my overflow. I have never had a single problem with these and they have been known to run awhile dry without hurting them, for those mishaps. Both of these pumps are run through my sump that was specialy made with skimmer incorporated for my filtration.

All this seems to provide me with enough flow along with the fact I have a *refugium* tank that also flows water through it and back into my tank, though that flow is minimul.

You probably know what kind of flow rates or turnover rate you need, it is just a matter of how you want it set up (external pumps or internal) and how much you wanna spend, both those pumps are anywhere from $210 on the 40rlxt to $160 and around $150 for the 20rlxt or less. The hardest part is determining the head pressure you need (talk to your LFS and describe your needs and what you want to accomplish) and the type of return you want, I have a 1" pipe with holes along it put against the back glass pane (Spray Bar) for full tank water movement. You can get fancier and spend more money and go as far as having alternating return heads on each side of the tank for randomized water flow simulating more of a current if you so wished. And with external you have to have some sort of overflow, be it predrilled aquarium or a purchased overflow.

Anyhow the possibilities are endless with external, which I like, compared to internal (cheaper) without having to be a part time plumber but having your return and water flow almost already determined for you.

Last edited:

LordsSoilder

Armageddon outa here!
Aug 29, 2005
Holland, MI
www.jc4me.org
First off, Awesome find...

What I can say to do for calming a spouse is make as little as possible come out of the wallet... What I do is take money from some sales and apply it to it. For example, I recently sold some stuff on ebay totaling about $250 in my pocket after expenses. The I sold one of my car amps for $50. That helped me calm the wife. (in your case it'll calm the bf) You could try selling the 55g tank and use that money, but I think it would be better built into a custom stand and used for a large sump.

Anyway, sell some stuff and buy some stuff...

GJ on the find... If you want to sell it let me know :joke:

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Well, I am getting a huge commision on one of the jobs I'm doing so maybe, just maybe I will be able to get what I need without breaking into my regular pay. Still not sure what to do about the filter though.I'm thinking of getting a decent canister filter for the new tank. Would that work? I've also seen HOB wet dry filters. HElP!!
The biggest problem I have with the 55 is storage under the tank. Right now I have all my fishy supplies in a 30gal tupperware tub next to the tank. Boy, and I was just starting to get my 55 set up just the way I liked it too.

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Use a sump IMHO for filtration, but there are several options for you to look into, but with that large of a tank you will need plenty of water turnover in a filtration system that canisters, I feel anyhow, won't produce as well.

Then again opinions are like.. EYE holes, everyone has 'em.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Form follows function. This tank can be an expensive or low cost deal, the animals you desire to keep will determine this.
What do you want to keep? please be specific.

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Ok, we actually measured the tank this time. We were only estimating when we first looked at it. Turns out it's a 110gal tank.
What do i plan on keeping in it? The current fish I have right now:
1 maroon clown, 2 neon gobies, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 yellow tang, 3 feather dusters, and 1 mandarin dragonet, as well as a small assortment of hermits and snails.
The fish I WANT to get are an eel, lionfish, and possibly a puffer (One of the smaller spiecies.)
I currently have 60lbs of live rock. (will def. be ordering more.) the tank came with a 48" light fixture that holds 2 florescent bulbs. I will be using that along with the 2-light fixture I already have. i also have 2 60gph powerheads, and will probably be using the pump from my current sump as a powerhead as well (350gph)
The skimmer I have right now is rated for tanks up to 100 gal. would this be sufficient with the system being a FOWLR for now? so long as I keep up on water changes.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store