Black mystery snail discharge a mystery

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
So i've searched high and low on the forums too try to figure out what my newly aquired BMS could be releasing.

It doesn't look like waste, nor pictures of eggs I find here on the site.

It's 10's of strands, about 1/2 inch long, with little white/brown "lumps"

example:
-o-o-o-o-o

the strands and "egg looking" things are dangling from the snail (probably 30 of them?). They aren't sticking to the tank or plants, and everytime my guppy swims by, a few break off.

Snail seems to be alive so i don't believe it's internal organs. I've seen it deficate earlier, and it was small brown particles.

The only thing I could image would be eggs, however, I can't get a positive confirmation. I brought it home from the pet store last night.

Thanks in advance.

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
I've only had my snails a few months, but it sounds like waste to me.

Go to www.applesnail.net. You can find tons of photos of snails with eggs and info on just about every species of snail out there.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Update:

Since i posted the first note, the snail has released about 3 times more "material".

Sitting in the same spot, and just keeps pumping whatever this is out. I'm lost, nothing looks like any pictures on the site mentioned above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store