dwarf puffer tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I have a dwarf puffer in a 10 gallon. I was wondering if there was anything I could put in there with it. I know they can be nippy, but I thought a top level quick fish might work. Like danios or white clouds. Any thoughts?

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I found this in www.dwarfpuffers.com:

"Dwarf Puffers are definitely not community fish and are best kept in a small species setup. Some people do keep them in larger community tanks with success, but it is not recommended. Dwarves are vicious little critters and will nip the fins off just about any other fish. They are capable of killing tank mates much larger than themselves with their relentless picking and nipping. Also, their small size can cause them to be eaten by larger fish. If you're going to keep dwarves, plan to provide them with their very own tank. " LINK

Hope the owner of the site wont be mad at me. I foun a lot of info there.

take a look

knashash

AC Members
Oct 28, 2004
I have 2 dwarf puffers in my community tank. Its true they are not the best community fish, however fast moving fish like the ones you mentioned will be fine with dwarf puffers.....just be careful what you put inthere but white clouds, danos, most tetras, rasboras all should be ok with DPs

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Danios might work, you'll need to keep aclose eye on the tank to make sure they don't get picked on too much. I wouldn't recomend it, but you could try. How about another Dp of the opposite sex?

patoloco

Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
OF TOPIC:
Fishy, I like your actual avatar. Keeps the same artistic line as mine :bowing: :bowing: :bowing:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
He he. I was bored at work and started messing with ms paint. I was wishing I was @ the beach that day, and with no window near my cube, it was the next best thing. But since this site does not use bmp, I had to change it to a gif or jpg or something, so it lost some of the colors.

patoloco

Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I used to visit the Worth1000 web site, for photoshop contests.
One day, the main all-mighty admin told us to reduce the size of the avatars for some bandwith problems. So, the forum people started their photoshops and begun to make the simplest, smallest avatars ever.

Mine is only 1.47 kb. Had to compress and recompress using diff'rent pic formats. One of the smallest sized avatars.

Ands let's stop this chit chat or we'll be knocked on the head . :D :D

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Back to the original topic.. I think the best tankmate for a dwarf puffer is another dwarf puffer.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Some people keep otos with dwarf puffers. It's not something I'd try myself since otos are delicate fish and I wouldn't want to subject them to puffs. In my 20g I keep 6 dwarf puffers and a few ghost shrimp. The shrimp was originally supposed to be food but they get along fine. If the single dwarf puffer is the only fish in your tank you could add another two. Aim for 1 male and 2 females.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Most DPs ignore Otos, many also ignore shrimp, but not all. Other than those there are not a lot of choices. Fish which are fast enough to always evade the DPs also are fast enough to deprive the DPs of food, so still not a good choice. Most puffers are and should be species-tank fish IMHO and IME.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store