FW Puffer Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I've always liked puffers, but was just on thepufferlist.com and I was taken with want-to-get-a-puffer sickness. :D So my question is: are there any FW puffers that can be happily kept in a 10 gallon with other fish? It doesn't have to be community-compatable, I'd just like to be able to keep some other fish with it. I really like the way Dwarf Puffers, F8 puffers, and SA puffers look.

Thanks, Freddy

LittlePuff

LittlePuff
May 18, 2004
Peoria,IL
Visit site
You could get 3 dwarfs in a 10gal tankmates:eek:ttos,shrimp
You could get 1 Fig 8 in a 10gal no tankmates, brackish water.
I don't know about SAP stocking. They are supposed to be one of the least aggressive. They need to have their teeth trimmed every 6mos. or so.

Kim

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Three dwarf puffers is good with a few shrimp or otos, but keep an eye out for agression against other tankmates and be prepared to remove them if needed.

For a figure 8 or SAP it would be better to upgrade your tank. A 15g for a single f8 and maybe a 15g or 20g (better but not critical) for an SAP. If you go for a figure 8, keep the SG at around 1.005 using marine salt.

Happy puffering :)

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Thank you!

Three dwarfs sound pretty cool- do you think I could keep them with kuhli loaches? Are there any other fish that are puffer-safe?

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Best to assume no fish are puffer safe. They really are best kept in a species tank. Ghost shrimp are cheap so are good to use as a test. Either they become food or tankmates so everyone is a winner, well except the shrimp if they get eaten :D

knashash

AC Members
Oct 28, 2004
Pretty much every person that says that Dwarf Puffers are not community fish that ive talked has never had them with anything but ottos and shrimp. And everyone sounds like a broken record, ottos and shrimp, ottos and shrimp. Why just ottos and shrimp? DPs can be kept successfully with a number of different species of fish...that is a fact and I speak from experience as well as many others experience. Yes, it is true certain fish will be attacked by Dwarf Puffers...you have to be careful what you put in there with them, but that doesnt mean just ottos and shrimp will work. Also, the argument that fast moving fish like tetras, danios, rasboras...who are mostly all DP safe will out compete the puffers for food is definatley not true in my case as I have successfully had my pair of DPs in my community tank for almost 2 years now.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
"Pretty much every person that says that Dwarf Puffers are not community fish" because it is true, because it is reported over and over again on the DP board and on the Puffer Forum. That does not say that no one has ever kept DPs with other fish for extended periods. It say exactly what it states in the quote above. That if you elect to so house them with other fish, you have a much higher chance of failure than of success. Beyond that it is your fish, your tank, your choice. I do not choose to house any of my fish in situations that are not the most favorable for them that I can provide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store