Where to get CO2 tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

valleyvampiress

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
I bought the Drs. Foster and Smith Semi-Automatic CO2 setup a little while ago and was wondering where to get the proper CO2 tank from. I saw on the instructions of the Azoo regulator that showed a nice CO2 Depot but I can't find it anywhere to buy. All I have seen are the upright standing tanks that have the hole coming from the top, not the side. I was wondering if there's any danger in having a 20oz CO2 tank on its side. I thought it might be dangerous and harder to place in a steady place than the Azoo one. I'd appreciate any help.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
valleyvampiress said:
I bought the Drs. Foster and Smith Semi-Automatic CO2 setup a little while ago and was wondering where to get the proper CO2 tank from. I saw on the instructions of the Azoo regulator that showed a nice CO2 Depot but I can't find it anywhere to buy. All I have seen are the upright standing tanks that have the hole coming from the top, not the side. I was wondering if there's any danger in having a 20oz CO2 tank on its side. I thought it might be dangerous and harder to place in a steady place than the Azoo one. I'd appreciate any help.
C02 tanks should never be placed on their side. Allways up-right.

As for getting tanks, believe it or not, but bigger the tank, the cheaper it is. I get mine form a place called Camcarb in Toronto.

For a 5 pound tank, they were charging me 105+ dollars filled, plus taxes. He suggested i go with the 15 pound, which was 60 dollars filled, plus tax.

Goto a local commercial welding store, or look in the yellow pages and call around. You can get them cheap if you shop. I almost ended up paying hundred bucks for a 5 pound tank, but luckily the guy at the place told me about the 15 pounder!!

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I got a 20lb tank here in the Toronto area for only $50. Got it tested & filled for less than $50. So I got a 20lb tank tested & filled for less than $100 CDN. It was used but it passed the hydrostatic test so it is good for another 5 yrs. Looked OK after I sanded and painted it. Try a store that deals in used restaraunt equipment. I got mine at Surplus Refrigeration Good luck!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Home Brew Supply store or a shop/store that sells kegs might have 'em to buy/rent.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Because of my profession, I am in and out of clubs on a regular basis.
At present I have 5 tanks and have never paid a cent for any of them. I just asked if the owner of the establishments had any old/used ones they didn't want and probably 1/2 the time I walked away with a tank. All but one are 20#ers.
I'd advise against buying one until you've asked around for used ones at bars, clubs, welding shops etc. And don't buy a new one. Many of the places that re-fill them swap off the tanks that are brought in. By that I mean that they take your empty tank and hand you a filled one, right on the spot.
If you want your new tank re-filled you may have to wait hours or even days for it to be returned to you full. Another problem with keeping the same tank is that they must be re-certified periodically and the places charge a re-certification fee to test them for safety.
You don't have to be a DJ to ask around at bars etc. Look for a used one.

Len

beviking

Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Not only bars, but neighbors too! One of mine is an electrician but new a guy who had a couple 5#s laying around. The bummer was finding out the certification was out of date. Once that was paid for at the local weld shop, I just return and get the $10 refill.

...and I thought DJ's only got free booze and chix ;)

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
beviking said:
The bummer was finding out the certification was out of date.
Couldn't you get it pressure tested? Up here if any tank passes a hydrostatic test it is good for another 5 years.
beviking said:
Not only bars, but neighbors too!
Me too. My neighbour used to drive for a gas supply company. He offered to give me a tank, but all he had were nitrogen & helium cylinders. Too bad, no CO2.

beviking

Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Matak said:
Couldn't you get it pressure tested? Up here if any tank passes a hydrostatic test it is good for another 5 years.
That's it, I had to pay to for the hydrostatic test, then I was in "the revolving door". I'm sure the test cost a fraction of what I paid, but it was still cheaper than buying/renting a new tank from them.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Around here a re-cert. only costs about $15, but once you pay for that the tanks that you get back in the swap are always in-date.

There are two places I can go to around here. At one of them, you can bring in a tank that's been dragged across country behind a Semi and they don't care. They'll swap you a full one for anything you bring in.:)
The other place is a bit more tight ***ed about everything and go strictly by the rules. I guess you can imagine which one I gravitate towards.:)

In any event, I would never buy a new tank when they are so readily available for free.

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store