Sick goldfish. Please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
My goldfish is having trouble swimming. He seems tired. He doesn't want to move much and he sinks to the bottom. If he doesn't lean up against the glass, he rolls onto his side. Something about him looks weird. I can't put my finger on it. I guess he looks a little swollen and his eyes seem to not move together, kind of like a chameleon. I don't want to lose him. Please help. What can I do?

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
I just added Melafix, Primafix, and salt. Is there anything else I should do? Can anybody help?

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Is this a new setup (new tank or newly add water)? If it is a new setup, did you used tap water, did you add chlorine remover? How long has your fish been in there? Does your fish have any tank mates in there with it? Is there any marking on its body? Is your Goldfish a common or fancy Goldfish? When did your fish start acting unusual (after being fed)? What is the size of your tank and fish? What is the condition of the water (water parameters)? What is the rating on the filter (20 gallons, 40 gallons, and so on)?

This should be enough to find a solution to your problem, or at lest the cause of your troubles.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
This is a well established tank. It is a 75 gallon tank with 9 Comet goldfish, 5 I have had for about 6 or 7 years, the babies I have had for about 4 or 5 years. I know it is overstocked but I don't have any other choice at this time. The rest of the fish in the tank are fine, there are no markings on the sick one. He started showing signs just a couple days ago and has been getting worse. I just changed the water 3 days ago and added dechlorinator as well as Melafix, Primafix, and about a cup of salt. The temp is about 68, ph is 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrites .5, nitrates 20. I am currently doing another waterchange. Should I add Melafix, Primafix, and salt again?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Only for the amount of water you remove. I'd be worried about the nitrites--while the salt will prevent the nitrites from being toxic to the fish, it is an indicator that the bio-filtration has been overwhelmed. Couldbe that the growing fish are increasing the waste put into the system. Could be something else that damaged the bacterial colonies. But I'd try identifying that problem, since most health concerns ultimately come down to water quality.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
On this tank I have 2 Penguin 330 filters. When I get rid of all the snails, I will be changing over to the new Super Cartridges. I just finished changing the water now. I added Melafix, Primafix, and salt again. What else can I do?

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
:sick: :sad:It is so sad to see him try to swim while he is stuck sideways, and then just let himself fall to the bottom. My other goldfish are just watching him. Sometimes his mother will swim up to him and brush his side as if she is trying to help him straighten out. It is so sad to watch. I don't want to lose him. :sad:

Is it dropsy? Is it his swimbladder? Is it curable? There must be something I can do. Please help. :sad: :confused: :help: :sad:

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Thank you all for your help but my poor fish died this morning. I found him dead when I woke up to get ready for work this morning. Thank you all anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store